Combat Mission manual

Guest Mirage2k

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Yeah, what is "flaming"...?

Sorry I am not up on all the "hip" jargon of , but this so called "flaming" is not ringing any bells...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Flaming is when you use the Raging Hordes of Fact to verbally berate an idiot.

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

Flaming is the common term for replying to a post (message) in a highly critical, inflammatory manner, hence the expression "flame". Some flames are well written, and enjoyable to read, but many are merely the text equivalent of chest thumping shouting matches, where neither side can back up their posistion with hard facts. Some of the worst flames get down to the level of personal attacks and outright childishness.

Ex: (only an EXAMPLE! Do NOT take this personally!)

"What is a flame? Dewd, you are such a lame ass feebo! Get yer stoopid ass off this board! You don't belong here until you learn something about the net..."

Or:

"WTF (What The F*@k) are you talking about?!?! EVERYONE with brains knows that the T-34 kicked ass on anything, and that the Germans didn't have ONE tank to match it. You are such a dumb **** to even THINK, if you can think, that a Panther could even HOPE to take out a T-34!..."

blah blah blah, etc. You get the idea. As you can see from these tame (yes, TAME) examples, flames are usually not very informative. Pretty much a textualized version of verbal bullying. The poster gets a 'tude going, and sounds off, since there isn't any immediate reprisal (like a knuckle sandwich smile.gif ). A series of these flames and counter flames is called a "flame war", or to put it another way, a complete waste of time. Although at times, they can be mildly entertaining, especially if a flamer is getting counter flamed by a person who gets their point across without getting personal.

Thankfully, there doesn't seem to be as much flaming going on in these forums as I've seen in others. People seem to act more mature here.

Hope this helped.

Captain Canuck

------------------

We took Vimy,

we fought the Atlantic War almost by ourselves, we were slaughtered at Dieppe so that Normandy would go smoother, and got farthest inland on D-Day :)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elementalwarre:

any chance of seeing the manual as a pdf? i generally prefer a pdf's bookmarks/search/etc to remembering where is/finding/flipping through a manual

OTOH my combat mission manual has been at most a meter away from my system for the last few weeks smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AHHHH!!!!

PDF....f...f..f.format.

Don't say that word!

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DEF BUNGIS:

AHHHH!!!!

PDF....f...f..f.format.

Don't say that word!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you, DEF. I will use...that other thing...only with reluctance and under protest. Me, I like a nice printed manual (such as CM's, for instance) that I can underline, dog-ear, and find what I want almost instantaneously without an unending series of mouseclicks followed by long pauses while my screen redraws, only to find out it's not the page I want. [sigh]

Michael

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elementalwarre:

any chance of seeing the manual as a pdf?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, unless von Shrad and the van 2.5.1 manage to stamp out you-know-what first.

Another one for the FAQ.

------------------

Andreas

Guest Mortiis

Now Ive seen it all, someone who prefers pdf files over a nice price printed manual. The one pet peeve of mine is bargain bin software with no manuals except in the form of a pdf file. Especially annoying when its a war game, my copy of steel panthers 3 came as a bundle pack and I still have not bothered to read the manual. Then again if I had a nice 21 inch monitor I may not mind it as much. wink.gif

The Panzer Campaigns manuals (from HPS) are standard .hlp files. They can be easily printed if desired (I don't bother). They are linked to the function keys so hitting Fn puts a manual on screen which can then be browsed. They are available online at the HPS website for downloading and are updated with each new patch. Some of these features might be considered for future CM games.

Elmo

I'd look the threads up for you, but I'm lazy that way. smile.gif

I had this same question back when I first got the game and searched to see what had been discussed about it. In a nutshell, BTS stated that they would NOT support any electronic format manual, mainly to combat software piracy. They were emphatic enough in their posts that I don't see much chance of changing their minds.

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb wink.gif

[This message has been edited by IntelWeenie (edited 08-24-2000).]

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DEF BUNGIS:

AHHHH!!!!

PDF....f...f..f.format.

Don't say that word!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PDF. PDF. PDF. PDF. PDF

<is he dead yet?>

<naw. he's writhing though. keep it up>

smile.gif

just thought i'd explain why i'm apparently such a space alien WRT pdf dox

i've been reading online dox for over 20 years. between that familiarity and these ways to use pdf files:

- keep frequently-used ones on my hard drive. no cd to swap. many are downloaded anyway - java specs, IETF RFCs, etc

- LCD display. quite easy on the eyes

- i only prefer PDF when bookmarked and magnified

- use acrobat, not just reader, so adding notes is convenient

admittedly most people probably aren't that assimilated into their computers smile.gif

The CM manual is very well written and laid out. I've read the whole thing a few times and consult it closely, but I think some of the info is outdated by game changes.

I was hoping it could be updated by .pdf file or online to reflect the game changes made along the way. CM is such an easy game to play that keeping the manual offline does not seem to be a big deterrent to pirates. Is a thinking game like CM really such a big target for pirates?

Somehow, someway, it would be wonderful to have a central collection of updates and tips.

------------------

You have the right to remain silent.

Anything you say can be used against you....

E-mail them again - maybe they just missed it due to recent volume. My guess is that BTS wouldn't have a problem mailing you another manual for a reasonable price assuming you're a registered buyer (they do seem to keep track of such things). They're quite helpful to their customers when bad things happen, in my experience (my first CM mail-out had a problem and didn't actually go out, but Steve fixed it for me). Just give them proof-of-purchase info and I imagine that they'll help.

Good luck,

Wendell

As I recall, I wrote to steve@battlefront.com (that was because Steve had mentioned that others were having the trouble I was - orders not really going out). Alternates are charles@battlefront.com (for Charles of BTS, naturally), sales@battlefront.com and support@battlefront.com.

Anyway, my personal experience suggests trying steve@battlefront.com first, then the others if you don't hear back within a few days. They really are good guys, but maybe just a little overwhelmed by how well CM is doing (and thus its traffic).

About what Lawyer posted:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I've read the whole thing a few times....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! You could have been playing all that time. Don't get me wrong....It's a fine manual and it's helped me out of more than a few jams, but I only use it when I'm forced to. I guess you could call that the CASUAL approach. smile.gif

------------------

"Then we shall fight in the shade." (Greek general's comment upon being told that the Persian archers could blot-out the sun with their arrows.)

[This message has been edited by Turret Ring (edited 09-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Turret Ring (edited 09-07-2000).]