Drivers

Thanks Richard and Compassion for the info.

This is hopeless. I think I have updated my driver and I know I have directX7a. I have a 12MB Voodoo II 3-D accelerator with a 16MB AGP Graphics accelerator. I'm not a computer expert so I affraid to try something drastic to my computer to get CM to run. If CM is this much of a problem I think I'll forget it.

A little more info would be helpful Jim. I had a smoke problem (showing the tiles the graphic was on) but a driver update fixed it right up. Also make sure you install your new video drivers *AFTER* you install directx.

And what problem are you having? exactly ?

Mirior invictus

Lorak

My system is as follows:

-Gateway Intel 400MHz Pentium II w/ Intergated sound Bezel Label

-64MB Memory Module

-DVD IDE ROM Drive

-14GB Hard Drive

- 16MB AGP Graphics Accelerator

-Airduct Hardware

-12MB Voodoo II 3-D Accelerator

-Microsoft Intellimouse

When I double-click on the CM tank icon the CM window is minimized and that is it. The computer freezes. I have to C-A-D to unlock the system. I have also minimized what is running either than explorer and systray. I can easily run Panzer Eliye and Hidden & Dangerous on my system with no problems.

Thanks.

Voodoo cards latest drivers (for all Voodoo based chipsets) can be had at:

www.3dfxgamers.com

They usually have the latest Beta versions there, too, if you want to be that cutting edge smile.gif

Jim, this sounds to me like CM is trying to render with your primary graphics card, and not the Voodoo 2 card. Go to Gateway and get the latest drivers for the OEM AGP video card. Be careful getting the drivers from the card manufacturer, however, as some OEM card (ones that ship with Gateways/Dells etc) have different driver sets that can only be gotten from the PC manufacturers website.

[This message has been edited by slazzari (edited 05-11-2000).]

also Jim if you delete your CM prefs file. and then close and restart the game. The window where you chose your video (the click if you see this window) I believe will cycle between the cards it sees and the resolutions avalible. If you clicked on the first one that came up the first time. You might want to try a diffrent one.

Mirior invictus

Lorak

Thanks guys for the help.

One more stupid question.

Where is the CM prefs. file?

It's not an obvious part of the CM folder.

I have the WAV and the BIT files as well as the CM start icon, but that it.

Jim, you neglected to list what brand your video cards are using. Since you have a Gateway pc, it's hard telling, because they ship several. (Their packing slips usually aren't accurate either in describing what exact card you have.) Sometimes their video cards are made for them and you should try the video drivers provided by Gateway first. You can goto their drivers web site at:

www.gateway.com/support/product/drivers/index.shtml

Since you have an AGP card, I'm guessing it's either a ATI Rage Pro of some sort or a TNT based card. Do you know which? If it's ATI, then I've seen comments here that some ATI chipsets can't properly render the transparency of the smoke/buildings and you need to change that graphic mode in the game. If it's a TNT card, you shouldn't really have any issues with graphics glitches in CM, but I guess you never know. Perhaps your Voodoo II card has been set as the primary video device for displaying Direct3D programs and it is being used instead of your AGP card? You might check the properties of your video card setup and see if there's a check box you can uncheck so the VoodooII isn't the primary card. I've seen other comments here with video glitches and the common issue with those seems to be the use of a Voodoo chipset with Combat Mission.

If your AGP card is an ATI card, you might consider getting one based on the TNT2 or GeForce chipset for your AGP card to replace it with.

We have several thousand Gateway pc's where I work and they are famous for not only changing model video cards, but revisions of the same card too. It's best to check their web site first for drivers as they do periodically provide newer drivers than what came on your system cd.

p.s. - The Combat Mission preference file is named "Combat Mission BO Demo Prefs" and is located in the "..\combat mission demo" directory.

Hope you get your problem figured out as CM is exceptionally good.

[This message has been edited by Hemo2 (edited 05-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Hemo2 (edited 05-11-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Jim - I just saw that you have an "Intellimouse" in your setup. Many users have reported that the Intellimouse causes serious problems with CM and other 3D programs as well. My advice is to:

1. Update to the very latest Intellimouse driver.

2. If that doesn't work, then switch OFF the Intellimouse software.

Charles