Regaurding Knocked out tanks n stuff

This may be getting a little too nit-picky, but im wondering why so many tanks that get knocked out simply just go bang and stop dead in their tracks... no trace of smoke or anything... It is like this in close combat as well.. that use to peeve me so bad too!!! I would think for even a round that goes THROUGH a tank.. there would be a good degree of smoke and shrapnel.. at least for a few minutes... No dont get me wrong.. we are in no position to start demanding MORE features in CM from BTS.. i am so pleased with its unmatched level of detail... thats a given... I guess im just wondering if this 'smoking tank' theory of mine ir correct or not... I havent read or seen many pictures of freshly knocked out tanks in ww2.. but all the ones i have seen have smoke pouring from the inside. If this WERE thte case.. it seems like it would rather be kind of easy to add this to the game.. a little smoke cloud or a shroud of debris upon penetration and thats it.. Just a quibble.. nothing major.. im anxious to see what everyone thinks...

oh.. one more thing.. when confronting infantry w/ tanks.. do panzerfausts (from inf. squads) make a 'whooosh' like a panzerschrek? Im curious cause ive been caught near infantry squads with a tank or 2.. to hear the whoosh and not see any shreck teams around... its a DAMN scary sound!

any comments are welcome...

Zaff'

You get that sometimes in CM. You'll also get catostrophic explosions (quite cool to see if you have the current patch and modpacks). Sometimes, however, tanks were dispatched with little external evidence aside from a little hole in the turret or hull. The destruction inside the tank is a different story! If you go to Bastogne today, you'll see a Sherman that was destroyed there in December of '44. The only visible damage is a small hole in the rear hull from an enemy sabot round.

I remember seeing a picture of a Sherman with over a dozen penetrating holes in its side (looks like APDS or just plain AP). The caption noted that this was unusual, since German armor was loath to waste ammunition later in the war (44-45).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"YOU STUPID DUMBASS, HOW COULD YOU MISS FROM 5 METERS AWAY!!!!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope this gets fixed in 1.03, my wife actually thought I was saying that! I explained that it was just part of the complete immersion that CM provides. She asked why the Germans were speaking in English and I explained that during the Battle of the Bulge the Germans had specially trained commando units that spoke English. She then said that the Germans must be a lot more polite than the Americans she's heard in the game 'cause they usually say things like "NO YOU F***ING IDIOT, THE OTHER WAY." I explained that BTS's attention to detail and national characteristics is remarkable.

Joe

I keep expecting to have the Brit's go into a Monty Python routine after gettin hit, say Ie, "Tis but a fleshwound" 8).

Regards, John Waters

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

"YOU STUPID DUMBASS, HOW COULD YOU MISS FROM 5 METERS AWAY!!!!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope this gets fixed in 1.03, my wife actually thought I was saying that! I explained that it was just part of the complete immersion that CM provides. She asked why the Germans were speaking in English and I explained that during the Battle of the Bulge the Germans had specially trained commando units that spoke English. She then said that the Germans must be a lot more polite than the Americans she's heard in the game 'cause they usually say things like "NO YOU F***ING IDIOT, THE OTHER WAY." I explained that BTS's attention to detail and national characteristics is remarkable.

Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PzKpfw 1:

I keep expecting to have the Brit's go into a Monty Python routine after gettin hit, say Ie, "Tis but a fleshwound" 8). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'M waiting for the WW2 equivalent of the scene from the movie "Waterloo" where one officer on a horse who has just been grazed by a cannon shot exclaims "I seem to have lost a leg!...", and the other next to him glances down and sez "So you have, so your have...", then keeps looking at the battle eek.gif

Now THAT is what I call keeping a stiff upper lip smile.gif

Henri

Guest Offwhite

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henri:

I'M waiting for the WW2 equivalent of the scene from the movie "Waterloo" where one officer on a horse who has just been grazed by a cannon shot exclaims "I seem to have lost a leg!...", and the other next to him glances down and sez "So you have, so your have...", then keeps looking at the battle eek.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that "other one" commonly supposed to be Wellington?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Offwhite:

Isn't that "other one" commonly supposed to be Wellington?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the fellow that lost his leg was Lord Uxbridge (commanded the allied cavalry corp--the cannon ball just missed Wellington's horse Copenhagen. Uxbridge supposedly said, "By God, I've lost my leg." Wellington's reply was "Have you, by God?" Then seeing that he had indeed, he held him until help arrived.

-----Chris

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

I think Fausts make more of a BANG sound when they go off. I heard them fired on the History Channel, but hey, I could be wrong.

I woke up everyone in my house the other night at 1am when I yelled at my Sherman in a night scenario.

"YOU STUPID F*ING C@NT!!!! DO YOU F*&^ING SEE THAT THOSE ARE OUR F%$#ING MEN? GODDAMN YOU LITTLE $%&*EATER TURDBURGLER!!!!

well, the little punk shot my company CO AND artillery spotter when he blew up their light building.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Offwhite:

Isn't that "other one" commonly supposed to be Wellington?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one who lost his leg was Lord Paget, later first Earl of Angelsey, who commanded the British cavalry at Waterloo and the other was Wellington.

------------------

Will

---

"The truly great thing is not to lose your nerve." --Unknown.