Demo Freezes

I've posted before but nobody has been able to help me. Thought I'd try again.

The demo freezes within 2-3 turns into the game and I have to hard reboot. I have a k6-2/400 with 160 meg ram, a new monitor, a voodoo 3/2000 video card, display run at 16 bit, a creative pci 128 sound card, all the new drivers including dx. This game looks great but I won't buy it if it doesn't work. Can anybody help?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rich12545:

The demo freezes within 2-3 turns into the game and I have to hard reboot. I have a k6-2/400 with 160 meg ram, a new monitor, a voodoo 3/2000 video card, display run at 16 bit, a creative pci 128 sound card, all the new drivers including dx. This game looks great but I won't buy it if it doesn't work. Can anybody help?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

Von Voss

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rich12545:

The demo freezes within 2-3 turns into the game and I have to hard reboot. I have a k6-2/400 with 160 meg ram, a new monitor, a voodoo 3/2000 video card, display run at 16 bit, a creative pci 128 sound card, all the new drivers including dx. This game looks great but I won't buy it if it doesn't work. Can anybody help?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HEY Rich I had the same exact problem and I turned my graphics hardware acceleration down to 25% and that did the trick, now I've been put on CM restriction by my wife, only one battle a day, I think she hopes the game is never released!

------------------

Von Voss

Rich,

I had the same problem that you do have now.

I beleive the beta demo has a problem with the AMD K6 2 processor (I have one too on my desktop.

A nice guy named "Hundminen" or something like that (real name being Chris)

e-mail me a file to run under DOS everytime you start your computer and want to play the demo. It solved my problem, and since no more freezes while playing the demo.

I am sorry but I can not e-mail you the file right now since I am in Europe in a business trip, and it is on my desktop at home.

So, run a search about Beta demo problems posted by BTS when they released the demo. You will find Chris' post, and his e-mail address. Drop him a line.

I hope you will be able to solve that very frustrating problem, and finnaly fully enjoy CM.

Good luck,

Karl

Thank you both for responding. Tried reducing hardware acceleration to 25% and it made things worse. The game looked like 640x480 and didn't respond much. And I'm not going to do a special reboot for any game. Funny how this game, out of all the 3d and non-3d games I have, doesn't work. I'll check this board for another couple of days, but if the problem doesn't get solved this time - as much as I like the game - I'm just going to forget the whole thing and move on.

Rich-

Don't give up too soon buddy. It's a great game and worth the effort.

I,too,have the AMD-K6-2 at 475megs. It works absolutely fine. I would bet the game is not the problem; but you might try the old uninstall/reinstall trick. That sometimes works.

Also, I have an ESS-Solo soundcard which has been problematic with games. If you have the same card make sure to E-MAIL them for updated drivers. (they don't list them on their website, and they're not certified for direct-x, but the updates fixed my problems).

Finally, I would check the resolution and color rendering settings in the control panel. This helped me.

I'm not that computer literate; I wish I could help more. But sometimes just patiently fiddling with the system produces results.

Good Luck..

Guest Charles

Try reducing your soundcard hardware acceleration a notch. CM has problems with certain soundcards.

And, if you haven't already done so, download DirectX 7.0a (the update).

------------------

Not THE Charles from BTS

I haven't had that exact problem, but three or four times I have had,when hitting the QUIT toggle, the screen go black with a small green "picket fence" along the top...

only a shut down will make it go away. It ignores Crtl-Alt-Del totally.

BUT, CM is so much fun that I ignore this...(which I guess you can't do with the problem you have...) Hell, I'd buy a new computer if I had to, just to play CM. <g>

Keep in mind that this is early BETA DEMO software, and is not in any way indicative of the quality of the final game's reliability. In over 4 months of playing I have had exactly 2 crashes. I have beta tested software several times in the past and have never seen something this stable and consistent early released to the public.

So, please don't judge the game by the Beta Demo and issues that surround it. Instead base your decision on the quality and performance of the Gold Demo which will be released concurrently with the full game.

Good Luck

Karl Mead

Guest Gunnerdream

Call me insane, but I would probably spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars to get a system that would run this game if I didn't already have one!

I have been waiting for this game for 10 years and NOTHING is going to stop me from playing it! Whew! My God! I seriously need to get a life!!!

Gunnerdream...floating down through the clouds...singlemindedly...

Thank you all for writing.

The problem is I don't know what is causing the freezes. If I did, I could replace the offending part. But I can't replace my whole computer. The comment that makes the most sense is to try the next demo and see how that works. Anybody know when it's coming out?

Hey Rich:

Like Xyphorus said, we both had the problem, and I believe it is caused by your AMD k6-2 cpu. The screen would freeze (not go blank) anywhere from turn 1 to 3. Most frustrating. Took me about a week to figure it out.

There is a 3rd party app called Setk6 or setk3d, or something like that (I forgot since I have upgraded to PIII in the mean time). You need to run the app in your windows dos box, each session, and it should solve the problem.

There are several links to the app, and I found it at the voodoogamer site (check out 3dfx home page and link to it from there. It has nothing to do with voodoo card, but they link the fix anyway.

Sorry I don't have details anymore, if you need more help you can wait for Xyphorus to get back, and he can e-mail you the full fix.

Hundminen