Pickup of Weapons and Ammo ?

Is there Anyway to man an abandoned Gun (MG or Mortar) ? When i got a team of maybe 4 soldiers fight brave turned back and fired all the ammo. and then there is a HvyMG with only 1 men left or maybe all killed. Is it possible to order my men to man this MG and use it ?

It will also be nice when troops can pick up Ammo form dead comrades.

biggrin.gif

------------------

Major Uedel

Kommandant

111 FallschirmjaegerBtl

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gregory Deych:

No. The riflemen are not taught to fire mortars. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Well, gee, gollee, sir, I thought this 'ere thang was s'posed t'be a nee'mortor."

If you search, you can find about 100 threads on this topic and the closely related one of the absence of dead bodies.

Bottom line: no scavenging of dropped weapons and ammo, no manning abandoned equipment, and no dead guys lying around.

BTS has some soulless "scientific" explanation for this, but the real reason is the Valkyries carry both corpse and gear off to CM Valhalla smile.gif.

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm

I know what has been said on similar matters but…

How about manning the 50 on an abandoned Sherman or any MG mounted to the top of an abandoned AFV or halftrack. If nothing else the crew from the vehicle or any LIKE crew?

I sure as hell am not asking to ADD this to the game. I just think it would be Good & Realistic!

------------------

Always Check Your Six!

Maybe in CM2 we get get a screen to display where there had been casualties and the possibility of scavenging weapons and/or ammo from these spots.

We have a pathing screen and a base screen which can be turned off and on so why not a casualty spot screen?

Just a suggestion.

Also like the idea of being able to man the 50 cal of a Sherman or Hellcat. Remember Audie Murphy and how he jumped on an abandoned Hellcat to fire a 50 cal at a German counter-attack thwarting its advance.

But again this is getting into individualism which Steve has mentioned in previous posts as difficult to achieve for infantry at the present.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Also like the idea of being able to man the 50 cal of a Sherman or Hellcat. Remember Audie Murphy and how he jumped on an abandoned Hellcat to fire a 50 cal at a German counter-attack thwarting its advance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But if guys did that all the time, Murphy wouldn't have gotten a big medal for it, would he? biggrin.gif

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm

well i thought this tidbit would be intersting smile.gif

In this one book i read of personal accounts of soldiers landing in normandy. A mortar crew had been wounded so they told this rifleman to fire the shells. Well he did. But none of the shells were exploding because he forgot to pull the pins.

It was a verry good book.