Tank recovery rate in CM

The T34 and BT russian tanks were heavily influenced by the T3, a tank designed by american J. Walter Christie but never adopted by any allied army. Mainly the big-wheeled 'christie' suspension is what made it into the russian t34. If you look at the T3 and T34 side-by-side you see some basic similarities, but the T34 is a new and vastly superior tank. To say that the T34 was an 'american' designed tank seems like a large overstatement.

-Ren

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>IIRC there was an American tank designer who went to the Soviet Union in the early 30s<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

His name was J. Walter Christie. He invented the "Christie suspension" where you have a row of big, huge roadwheels that the track returns on top of, instead of separate return rollers. But I don't think he actually went to Russia for very long, just briefly in connection with selling them one of his prototypes. The Ruskies used the suspension on some of the later BT-series tanks, the T34, T54/55, and T62. Christie also sold a prototype to the Brits, who used the suspension on the Crusader series.

Christie was a very interesting character, in a way that pretty much guaranteed his failure in business. His dealings with the US Army through the 20s and 30s makes you just scratch your head.

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm

I read somewhere (I really don't remember where) that the US Army was greatly impressed with the German's recovery system in the early years of the war, and that was one of the first doctrinal things he adopted to the newly created armored units.

At the end of the war, the recovery rate was only determined by availability of means, which give to USA a clear edge, even when doctrine was similar.

Ariel

First off, my hat is off to both Stephen Ambrose and Belton Cooper. I read Ambrose quite often, my favorite is "Band of Brothers". As far as Belton Cooper is concerned, the man has a knack for the technicalities of armor and big guns.

Now, of course there are several reasons for the German's ineffective recovery of their vehicles. It's hard to recover vehicles while losing ground. Which early on in the war they were taking ground constantly which gave the the ability to recover equipment. Also repair parts were readily available through their manufacturers. As the war progressed, the German's manufacturing ability declined (ie. lack of resources, bombing, etc.) These wonderful technological advances in super armor and big guns were useless after they broke down. These huge tanks were extremely intricate and the common field soldier could not repair them.

The Americans kept the designs simple and easy to produce. Our huge industrial capabilities gave us the ability to pump out Shermans like water out of a faucet. We didn't have to take the things to the back all of the time to have them repaired.

Flix