British Tanks: Underrepresented in User Created Scenarios??

hey aacooper,"English tanks/troops".I suppose there were no Welsh,Scottish or Irish fighting for Britain during WWII.If you are a yank I suppose you can be excused,as you lot dont seem to know that England is a part of Britain,not the other way around.If you are English then you shpuld know better.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Im an American and I posted the topic in the first place _and_ I deliberately said "British" to include Scots, Welsh and the Irish who served in Her Majesty's forces.

One of them (an Englishman) was my (recently knighted) godfather, so sucks boo to you, old bean.

Terence

[This message has been edited by Terence (edited 12-04-2000).]

Steady on there old man, I don't think he was taking a shot at you.

It's a cultural thing. For a Scot being called British is bad enough, being excluded from WWII would be down right insulting.

The Scots have always formed a very large portion of the British Armed forces, but often don't get the recognition they deserve. OT off the top of my head, as I recall at least 50% of the British Troops in the Gulf were Scots.

I guess they have a right to feel slighted.

IPA

You know, I don't think he was taking one at me either, although he did make a sort of ungenerious swipe at the Yankees on the board.

(But I classify that as the sort of hail-fellow-well-met piss-taking that we hear so often from the British Isles.)

If I was really irked, I think I would have managed something more devastating than "sucks boo."

ha ha ha?

Terence

PS. Yeah, where would the British Empire have been without Irish Generals and Scottish troops?

[This message has been edited by Terence (edited 12-04-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M. Bates:

British can also be a geographical term.

Of course, the ancient Britons are the ancestors of the Welsh, who are the only people in Western Europe, who have never been conquered (if memory serves me right).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, not sure what you would call the stuff that Eddie Longshanks (aka Edward I) did to them in 1281 (or was it 1181?)...

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-04-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dumbo:

"Oh yeah, the Welsh and the Irish too."

Errrm Irish? Only from Ulster and some volunteers from the south I beleive. The Republic of Ireland was neutral in WW2 like Switzerland.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They may have been neutral, but they provided more volunteers than draftees from Ulster. Go the Irish Guards!

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-04-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IPA:

The Scots have always formed a very large portion of the British Armed forces, but often don't get the recognition they deserve. OT off the top of my head, as I recall at least 50% of the British Troops in the Gulf were Scots.

IPA <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, if all you had to eat at home was a bowl of steaming haggis, you'd join the army, too ... any army ... just to go off and find somefink edible. (No, I haven't had true haggis but its a great word/meal to poke fun at).

But, if you're talkin' whisky ... I'd stay home for a good single malt any day.

------------------

"Moriarty, you suck." -- Dunno, but somebody must've said it somewhere along the line

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wwb_99:

Yeah, Comets are better than just about any medium tank the allies fielded. Also, one major vehicle omission from the game is the Centurion, as many of which saw action as Pershings or arguable Jagdtigers.

WWB

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know this is a bit like shooting fish in a barrel but the Centurion never saw action in WWII. 5-6 prototypes were rushed to front but only got there in May '45 after hostilities had ceased. There are on the other hand numerous examples of Pershings & Jagdtigers seeing action. Perhaps you're confusing Comets with Centurions (Comet was introduced in Dec '44 & only saw any real action after March '45).

On the subject of US & British troops fighting together another couple of examples would be the Lafeyette force in the battle of Kasserine (British armoured BG which helped cover the US retreat - fought until its virtual annihilation) & also 6th Guards Armoured Brigade (equipped with Churchills)teaming up with the US paratroopers of the 17th Airborne Division in March '45. Infantry combinations below the Battalion level don't seemed to have happened not least to conflicting ammo requirements & different SOP's.

regards,

Conall

Guest Big Time Software

Ok gents...

I like the Cromwell a whole bunch, although its gun left something to be desired against the heavier German tanks or long range duels. The Comet, on the other hand, rocks smile.gif

As Conell stated, the Centurion has no place in CM because it never engaged in combat. The Locust and Tetrach were left out because they were only used in Normandy and Varsity (Rhine crossing) and didn't really see combat except for a couple of rather insignificant engagements (in Combat Mission terms). Simply put... the effort to make these vehicles was not justified for the two or three that actually saw some combat.

Funnies were not included for similar reasons. A Search will turn up lots more about why we didn't include these models.

People should also note that for every British or American vehicle we didn't include, we probably left out one or two German ones. Nobody had more varried crap on the battlefield than the Germans, especially in Normandy. Hell, the Germans even used some French WWI tanks and armored cars they found lying around smile.gif

Steve

Guest Rex_Bellator

I've just downloaded and played a great new medium sized scenario from http://www.asl2cm.com/ (the excellent ASL conversion site) which involves both Brits and Americans. It's called Merzenhausen Zoo and seems totally historical from November 1944.

Our Scottish friend will be pleased to note that the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry were present on the field with the US 2nd Armoured Division. I played it as TCP/IP with a buddy, and without giving too much away I'll say that the mixture of Brit and American tanks was a delight to play. Of course the Germans had one or two nasty little 'delights' as well...

Go try it, I promise you'll enjoy!

------------------

"We're not here to take it - We're here to give it"

General Morshead's response to the popular newspaper headline "Tobruk Can Take It"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

The two maps I've released use British forces. The first has tanks and the second concentrates on armoured cars and such. Count me as a Churchill fan. =)

David

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like that scribble on your web site, nice work!

I also downloaded both your maps.

smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CaSCa:

although he keeps babbling something about wanting a 'Tanya', which I guess is a figure skater armed with a baseball bat, but I'm probably wrong.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tanya!

Oh, Tanya. Where have you gone?

Relegated to lesser games like Red Alert!

How sad.

frown.gif

As a part time tester for Wild Bill and *ahem* the evil one personified, Rune, I can state that there are some quite brilliant scenarios being worked on at the moment involving either British or British equipped forces.

btw, the poms gave us the Firefly, you've gotta love that! smile.gif

Mace

Hey Terence,IPA,et al,I feel so proud that we've all done our bit for International relations.I certainly wasnt having a pop at Americans,it was just tongue in cheek.I do appreciate the inescapable fact that without the inestimable manpower,industrial might and technological innovation of our allies in th U.S.A.,we in the British Isles could not have won the war.We might not have lost,but we couldnt have won.catch you later guys,Bob.

Hey,Terence and IPA,im glad we've all done our bit for international brotherhood!I wasnt taking a swipe at anyone really,certainly not our allies from the USA.Without a doubt Britain could never have won WWII without The United States.We may not have LOST it,but we couldnt have won.I think,M.Bates,that im right in saying that the welsh certainly were conquered,by the English under Edward the first in the late 13th century.Thats why the English monarchs eldest son is always dubbed "Prince Of Wales".Just one of the perils of having an aggressive,covetous,grasping neighbour,just ask The Scots,Irish,French etc,etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I think,M.Bates,that im right in saying that the welsh certainly were conquered,by the English under Edward the first in the late 13th century.Thats why the English monarchs eldest son is always dubbed "Prince Of Wales".Just one of the perils of having an aggressive,covetous,grasping neighbour,just ask The Scots,Irish,French etc,etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aren't you able to enjoy history without descending into a nationalistic mentality? It's probably worth remembering - although this will be lost on you - that England had an essentially Norman French outlook until the mid 1450s, when the crown still had a legitimate claim over parts of France.

Also, are you seriously suggesting that even after France rid itself of its monarchy - an institution that you no doubt dislike - that it never had colonial or expansionist aspirations??