What Unit Size Setting Do You Use?

Guest Wally'sWorld

Guest Wally'sWorld

I was just interested to see what settings some of you are using. For unit sizing, I use the 'realistic' because to make the men and equipment any bigger on the screen makes them too easy to spot and also they become more like 'toy soldiers' rather then trying to think of them as actual squads and tanks.

Also, it makes it more harder to spot enemy units and it also looks pretty cool to see your tank surrounded by tall buildings. Any opinions? Thanks...

Guest Mirage2k

Well, just to clarify, the scale you use has no bearing on your units' spotting ability. The game calculates LOS and stuff like that using the realistic settings all the time.

I like to use realistic too, because sometimes (for me at least) it's hard to position units effectively at larger settings.

-Andrew

Guest Wally'sWorld

Actually, when I wrote that making the units bigger makes them too easy to spot, I actually meant too easy for myself to spot and not for my combat units themselves. If one of my squads spotted an enemy squad on top of a hill behind a tree, I, myself, might miss them completely when going through my orders phase. I think the human error factor, by way of overlooking enemy units, is also made a bit higher too with realistic size units.

As a general rule I play with units at +2, trees full on and using views 1 for turn replays and planning stealthy routes for my units ( I actually "walk" the route they're gonna), 3 and/or 4 for order phases and 6/7 for developing a general stategy (usually in the first few turns of a game).

Does any body else use the overhead views ? I've rarely heard mention of people using them in the 5 months I've been lurking !

Madjack, I often use the overhead view when my forces comprise of several artillery spotters, long range armor duels, and checking LOS around the board. During regular turns, I'll often loiter in view 3 or 4, but generally not in 1 or 2 unless I'm tracking a specific engagement (i.e. Wolverine vs. Tiger). Being able to switch to overhead (close, 5) view helps a lot when maneuvering within buildings. I dislike having to roam the camera around to the proper side then making sure I'm actually where I want to be. The 5 view sure does help in this regard. The huge view, 8, comes in mighty handy during setup phase. If I'm on the defense and want all my units to hide, it's far easier to use the 8 view, select all units, then hide them all at once!