PanzerAbwehrWerfer600,exactly what is it?

It sounds strikingly similar to the oft-used PanzerAbRoller, which was the precursor to today's "8-Minute Abs." Fairly sturdy for a battleground workout, it helped alleviate the effects of chasing wine and cheese throughout France. In fact, it's widely reported that Jochen Pieper mounted his PAR directly behind his equally effective Nahversmokefiringthingy to create the most deadly combat tank in the ETO. smile.gif

Joe

[This message has been edited by Carentan (edited 07-22-2000).]

Think I just got myself a new favorite.

What´s really impressive is the germans ability to redesign obsolete or standard equipment,I mean a mortar bomb.

Thanks,G-D

[This message has been edited by Ghost Dog (edited 07-22-2000).]

I believe this is the first weapon to use the 'high-low' pressure principle. Basically the casing for the propellant had two chambers, the high pressure detonation and low. The high 'leaked' into the low via orifice so that the impulse on the projectile was greatly reduced. Really a long slow kick if you will. The casings were a little expensive to make (I imagine)and possibly non reusable.

The benefit is a light weapon that could be easily hauled about by a half dozen guys like the early AT weapons of the war and possibly a low audible signature. It should have been mounted on every halftrack and light armored vehicle in my opinion. Its ability to fire a mortar bomb made it a great dual purpose weapon (who needs infantry guns?). Another german case of too little too late. This principle is used in the M203 (US grenade launcher) and a few other weapons.

Lewis

[This message has been edited by :USERNAME: (edited 07-22-2000).]

(© Created by M.Hofbauer August 29th 1998)

so the Panzerfaust site is created by our Hofbauer here on the site? I've been using that site, recommending it even using it's data. Guess the wargame community isn't that big after all.

Silencer,

That was the whole idea. By making it light they could make more of them and move them more easily. Hell, after the initial trials they HAD to make it heavier cause it bounced around too much and was a bit too fragile.