OT: Voodoo 3 3000 PCI, anyone have one?

I had the AGP version and it worked great. I was able to use all the Hi-res graphics and put it up to about 1024 res. The PCI version was on my girfriends computer and I was able to do about the same but I never had it over 800x600 (because I never tried not because it could not do it). I used a 350 PII with 128MBS of RAM. Hope that helps. I did need a patch from 3dfx (www.3dfx.com) for the smoke graphics though. I was running Win98 2nd edition in both cases also.

------------------

Sir are you sure you want to go to red alert...it would mean changing the bulb

-Priest

Hey fellow Clancy fan!

Thanks for the info! Your PC specs sound around mine too, so it should work fine for me! I only have a 15" monitor, so 800X600 is fine for me.

EDIT: Thanks CavScout too! (who posted at the exact same time as I posted this message...)

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 10-10-2000).]

I just installed one in one of my machines, replacing a Voodoo Banshee. It's a decent card for the price; just make sure you've got the current drivers.

I haven't run CM on it since I just ordered it last Friday (lurked for a year, but...). Since it ran well on the Banshee at 1024x768, I'd expect it should be fine for this card though.

BTW, I got mine at BestBuy for $90, with a $30 rebate on top of that. It's probably a manufacturer's rebate, so check 3Dfx's site for it. Sixty for this card ain't bad...

Domino

Mr. Clark:

I just got a Voodoo3 3000 (PCI). Works very well so far. Translucent smoke and explosions look phenomenal. (Check out the tech forum, there is some discussion with some problems with the card, though it seems to be limited to very high resolutions and possibly only AGP version)

Pillar:

I believe it is the voodoo 5 card that supports FSAA (in hardware). IIRC, this is still in the very high $200's (U.S.)

Domino:

The $30 rebate (on my card at least) was only valid for cards bought before September 30, 2000 (I got mine on the 27th smile.gif).

--Philistine

I bought my Voodoo3 3000 AGP soon after it was released (replaced my Voodoo Graphics card) and have had no problems with it. It's not the latest and greatest, but for <$100 bucks gives you a lot of bang for your buck.

CM plays great at 1024x768 on my P2-300 w/ 64mb RAM. Most other games play great at that resolution too, but I usually drop down to 800x600 and eliminate any choppiness.

Just a small point, but you can get decent 17" monitors for <$200 these days... 19" for a little more. Considering you look at the monitor most, if not all the time you're at your computer, I'd consider upgrading there first... if you've got the money.

------------------

“Fortune favors the brave" - Terence

Guest ckoharik

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Pillar wrote:

What is the Voodoo card that supports FSAA?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it is the Voodoo 5 5500 series that supports FSAA and it looks really, really nice in CM at 1280x1024 (it looks good at 800x600 too!).