WAR!!

I'm not criticising anyone or anything (i love wargames) but is'nt it strange (and maybe a little bit sad!?), that we all "love" an aspect of human behaviour (nature?) that is clearly totally wrong, but from which we seem to take great pleasure from???.

To me. War is just the greatest form of Population Control.

It's also just a contest of who's the baddest guy on the block.

NOTE: No smileys were hurt in typing this message.

------------------

"The greatest risk...is not taking one."

Guest Mirage2k

Well, I don't think anybody takes an especially large amount of pleasure from the killing part. But of course the dead are just computer images, which makes it a bit easier...lol.

The reason I take so much enjoyment in wargaming lies in two words: history and strategy. Both are fascinating, and much more interesting when one actually participates to some extent, instead of just reading through a book (which has its advantages too, mind you).

-Andrew

I just reckon that's it's in our nature to "grab what we haven't got, from the guy who has" and along the way, find better and more efficient ways of getting it from him.

[This message has been edited by Manx (edited 06-06-2000).]

Actually I think they pussed out a little bit in this area. It is a war simulation after all, they should have had pools of blood on the dead, and dying or wounded troops. There should be decapitated bodies, and just pieces of flesh where troops are blown to bits, Charred blackened bodies,

Hanging and stringy viscera should be evident with all the tension and horror of war...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Posted by armorbuff:

Actually I think they pussed out a little bit in this area. It is a war simulation after all, they should have had pools of blood on the dead, and dying or wounded troops. There should be decapitated bodies, and just pieces of flesh where troops are blown to bits, Charred blackened bodies,

Hanging and stringy viscera should be evident with all the tension and horror of war...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try doing a search, armorbuff, because there have been so many discussions about this you will be reading for weeks.

Mr. Demon wink.gif

This is a topic I've pondered quite a bit myself.

I've been fascinated by war, and particulary World War Two, since I was a kid. Yet I've never wanted to own a gun or join the army.

I tell myself that I'm fascinated by the equipment (tanks, etc.), but then why do I continue to read personal accounts of battle?

Perhaps its a way of trying to explore the darker side of human nature. In addition, it can help us to understand a very different environment and truly appreciate the sacrifices of a generation.

Just my 2 Canadian cents (not much)

Guest BigAlMoho

I resolved this question for myself with this quote I wrote:

"War is the absolute best game ever invented and the absolute worst reality."

Al

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuka:

!!!!WAR!!!!!

"WooWoWoWOWOooo, what is it good for?

absolutely nothin'

say it again now

WWooWoWowooooo"

Everybody sing along:d biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh? What song were you listening to?

It's:

WAR!!

Huhh! What is it good for?

------------------

"The greatest risk...is not taking one."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

Wargames are cool, War sucks, there is no comparison<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen to that!

I just finished reading "Stalingrad", by Anthony Beevor. IMHO he gives a good (and chilling) account of the deprivations the troops (both sides) suffered, in addition to being shelled, bombed and shot at: exhaustion, cold, starvation, filth, disease. A required read for anyone who thinks real war would be "fun"...

Marnix.