Ruins mod?

Not sure what you mean exactly?

3D models can't be changed, only textures - if it's textures you were interested in, there is an "Urban" mod coming out sometime in the future which adds additional rubble tiles, fountains, and other various, small, graphical changes.

Hi,

I`ve made some ruined buildings (windows/doors knocked out, walls with holes in etc) which look ok but i cannot put them up for distribution at present because they use some Panzer Elite textures. I hope to change them to original artwork soon and then when i get them and a whole load of other stuff finished (i`ve redone just about everything but the vehicles) i`ll offer them up for download. These days i spend more time playing with textures than playing the game !

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Magua:

Hi,

I`ve made some ruined buildings (windows/doors knocked out, walls with holes in etc) which look ok but i cannot put them up for distribution at present because they use some Panzer Elite textures. I hope to change them to original artwork soon and then when i get them and a whole load of other stuff finished (i`ve redone just about everything but the vehicles) i`ll offer them up for download. These days i spend more time playing with textures than playing the game !<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds great - is it possible to get a copy for inspiration - if i dont use the files in the game.

Regards, Joe.

I am by no means and expert oin this subject and only make the following suggestion in the hope it might inspire one of the mod experts out there or give every a good laugh at my lack of knowledge - just go easy I have a cold.

Could the 3d maps for the buildings before they are reduced to rubble be used and turned into rubble looking structures by the skins placed over them.

I do a lot of graphics work and the 'transparent' function on my system is truly a life saver! Could the 3d building skins be replaced by blown away structures which leave much of the outside structure and a good protion of the first floor and sometimes the roof standing. After all much rubble that I have been through in real life was just this, not just a heap of brick. The remaining parts of the structure that would normally be presen could be replaced with a transparent skin, so although the full building is standing it looks very shot up an dno one would know just to look at it.

Just a thought - go easy. =)

Graham

Graham - Excellent idea!!!

However I just tried it out and there are a few minor problems.

When you add transparency to a building (say in the form of shellholes, or collapsing upper walls) the program will give you the transparency, BUT won't draw the interior walls - you simply see whatever terrain is behind/underneath the building. So you lose the 3D illusion. It does look pretty cool when squads are in the building (as the interior walls are then drawn) but not worth the ugly look which all the unoccupied buildings will have.

Also, the roof tiles are repeated so many times that punching holes in them gives you (besides the effect I just mentioned) a very 'tiled' cheese-grater look - not enough variation.

Hopefully the ability to do this sort of thing will be implemented in CM2!

Mark