CM Units

Guest frank

I now know that CM UNITs (Inf, tanks, etc.) are made up of code and not just data and graphics files.

My questions is will new units be added to CM have it's released? I found the following searching the posts.

posted 03-09-1999 12:12 PM

(NOTE: Charles is still away so we haven't discussed the naming thing yet)

We are actually going to include 5 nations from the get go; US, GB, Pol, Cnd, German.

The Free French will be included in a follow up scenario/campaign pack (maybe a few

more vehicles?). Historically these units were organized along national lines as

DIVISIONS and fought in significant numbers in NW Europe

Second question, will CM Units be compatible or be able to transfered between different versions of CM?

Thanks

Frank

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Frank,

Far too many to list. If you do a Search you should find a couple of threads with more details, but in general this tidbit from the Demo's instructions is a good overview:

40 Squad Types

85 Support Weapons (HMGs, AAA, 105mm How, etc.)

150 Vehicles of all types and variants

12 Defensive Elements (mines, barbed wire, Registration Point, etc)

The good news is that we managed to get the Free French in for the 1.0 release. So the Allies get US, UK, Pol, Cnd, and French troop types to use.

Steve

Just found some info on a bizarre little unit at Normandy... 100. Panzerabteilung. It was appearantly attached to the 91st division. On 18 May 1944 it had: 14 R35's, 8 Hotchkisses, 1 Somua, 1 Char B2, 1 PzKw III & 5 FT17's. How much of this unit could I use in a scenario of CM?

------------------

---

Dan Brown

dbrown@owc.net

Guest Big Time Software

Yup, I know of that unit smile.gif I think a Englisman might call it a "Boil on my bum" (well, at least Black Adder would smile.gif).

We have the H-39 in the game. His name is Pierre, and please be kind to him smile.gif As for the others, none are simulated right now. We might put in a CharB2 into an expansion pack, but aren't planning on messing with the others. Too few and questionable use in combat are the main factors.

Steve

Ok, not to expose myself as too much of a pinhead, Steve, but can you or Berli explain what all those units in his list are. You mean to tell me that the Germans used a bunch of angry Samoans against the Allies in Normandy?

------------------

desert rat wannabe

14 R35's, 8 Hotchkisses, 1 Somua, 1 Char B2, 1 PzKw III & 5 FT17's.

R-35s were Renault 35s (made in the mid-30s). The Hotckiss were H35s or H39s IIRC made in the equivalent years.

The Somua was the S-35 (nice little tank BTW).

The Char Bis-2 was probably the largest tank in the world in 1940. Massive but built to a WW1 design IMO with the WW1 track layout etc.

The FT 17 was a small two-man trench clearer left over from WW1.

All of the tanks listed, except for the Pz III were war booty the Germans captured from the French...

I may have a date or two wrong but its mostly right.. I'm a bit niggled about the H35 for some reason.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Steve

Thanks for the reply but, what I wanted to know was the following:

1. Will new units be added to CM after it's released? The old post I found hinted at a expansion pack.

2. Will CM units be compatible or be able to transfer between different versions of CM (CM1 import/transfer units from/to CM2)?

Thanks

Frank

Guest Big Time Software

Whoops, forgot to answer your question about using CM1 battles (data) with future versions. The answer is that we HOPE that we can do this, but will not know for sure until we start making CM2. So the goal is to allow this to happen, but it might prove more of a task for us than it is worth.

Yes, we are planning on an expansion pack. More vehicles are part of that plan.

As for why we did the H-39 instead of the Somua... because biggrin.gif Seriously, the H-39 was the FIRST tank model I built for CM almost 1.5 years ago. At that point we really didn't know how many vehicles were were going to be able to do. As things progressed we realized that we wouldn't be able to handle the number we wanted, so no more captured French vehicles were made.

The other reason is that the H-39 and R-35 tanks are nearly identical. By 1944 standards they are practically the same vehicle for all intents and purposes. They couldn't knock out jack squat and anybody with something bigger than a sling shot could knock 'em out smile.gif Armor and performance for the two vehicles was identical except for the mantlet of the H-39 being about 50% thicker than the R-35. So basically, the H-39 can double for the R-35, and therefore that one model gives us an effective two vehicles.

BTW, the number of captured French tanks that actually saw front line service was very small. A couple of dozen tops in Normandy, nearly none afterwards. They were almost exclusively used for rear services and training. Obviously there are exceptions, but we can't cover all of those in a reasonable timeframe.

Steve

Steve

I think BTS has already stated that they wish to do an "early war years" version covering France 39-40...

I think that was umm CM4 or so ?

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

Yes, CM4 will be Poland through the fall of France. I'm looking forward to it as there has been far too little attention paid to this area. CM3, if you are wondering, is the Med. Theater 41-45 which is also not covered very well (North Africa yes, but Greece and Yugoslavia? Nope smile.gif)

Steve

Steve

Just to clarify, by "Yugo and Greece, nope" do you mean these two theatres haven't been well covered, or that they won't be in CM3. From previous posts I suspect the former, but, well, you know - I wanna be sure smile.gif

Further, if CM3 does include the Balkans, then I assume that it will be capable of Crete, a hypothetical invasion of Malta, and some of the smaller operations in the Greek Islands - just a function of the scenario editor I expect. But, will it include partisans so we can fight it out with/for Tito and the Chetniks?

Regards

Jon

------------------

Ubique

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>then I assume that it will be capable of Crete, a hypothetical invasion of Malta<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd love to play scenarios set on Crete and Malta. I just read what the Germans had slated for the invasion of Malta, and it looks like it would be fun... KVII's!

------------------

---

Dan Brown

dbrown@owc.net

It's a pity the battles of the 21st Panzer Division in Normandy won't be possible in CM as this was probably the most heavily engaged German unit in the whole campaign. Its 23 Somua tanks were replaced by old short barrelled PzIV Bs and Cs during June 1944 but most of the rest of the division was equipped with captured French equipment such as SP AT, mortars and HE guns on H39, Lorraine and Somua HT chassis. French Unic P107 HTs were even used to carry pzgrenadiers.

Kampfgruppe Luck was perhaps one the most famous elements of the Division using this equipment and the major battles they were involved in means that the French vehicles gain far more significance than mere numbers produced. Here's hoping they will be added later on?? smile.gif

BTS I am so glad we will have a shot at N. Africa, and desert Campaigns...For me the early war years and equipment hold the most interest. I love the "pop" guns of '39-42. There is no doubt that I'll Play those series to death!

Mark IV,

This is from "The Western Front 1944: Memoirs Of A Panzer Lehr Officer" by Helmut Ritgen:

"The German Army was only weakly represented in this landing by a Panzer company, which, according to OKW instructions from 4 May 1942 was to consist of a mixture of heavy tanks: 12 uparmoured Pz IV's, five VK 1801's, five VK 1601's and all available captured Russian KV-I tanks (at least ten). The company was put together on 28 April at the Panzer Lehr Regiment in Wünsdorf near Berlin under the leadership of Knight's Cross winner Hans Bethke."

Ok, I screwed up... they were to be KV-I's smile.gif

Wow, didn't know about the German KVs at all. Obviously this scenario will HAVE to be included. I imagine ammo choices would be limited for the KV series in German hands. A rack-full of HE? Smoke? I wouldn't think the Germans would have been worried about much armored opposition on Malta, so AP would seem to be kind of a waste of space, unless for use on concrete defenses.

You're probably right about the ammo problems with captured Russian equipment. The same book mentioned by Berlichtingen states how the Panzer Lehr Division was armed with Russian 152mm field guns in Normandy instead of standard German 150mm. A couple of weeks after the landings the Division was so short of ammo they were applying for the guns to be replaced with German ones!

Cheers,

Mike O'Brien