Sound of incoming Arty?

Hi again, everybody!

My question this time is (perhaps it had been discussed before, but i didn´t find it yet):

Will there be sound of incoming Arty?

In the Beta i can only hear the explosion of the shells! Wouldn´t it be cool, if there would be an awesome:

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaabuuuuuuuuummmmmmm!?

Eh - sounds a little bit strange - but you know what i mean.

Please answer me - Greetings to all

Jochen

Guest PeterNZ

naaah

I totally disagree.

I think it's a dumb idea.

everyone knows incomming arty sounds like

vvvvVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE -SHBOOOOOMMMM- *pitter patter*

Sheesh, do your research before posting!! :> Use the search function! wink.gif

PeterNZ

Hi Fionn,

ah...yes! I read it to quick - höhm....

veeeee..... ok - so let it be veeeeeshboom.

But, will that be in the game?

Thanks - greetings from Jochen (who has sometimes difficulties to translate the written things into german - sorry)

FWIW Arty does have an "incoming" sound now.

Bil hit me with ome 155 US arty on a town I was holding with some Fallschirmjaegers. Half the town is gone after only 3 or 4 turns ;(.

Still, my reserve force surprised the hell out of his flanking force wink.gif.

Oh BTW.. Another thing while I think of it... Near misses etc...

I was using a 150mm Infantry Gun to guard my left flank. Well, at one point it was firing OVER the infantry in front of it.. It was firing over them and just a couple of metres to the left of a building I was occupying and had hidden a tank behind. Well, the first shot from the IG went a little bit astray. It hit the house, killed couple of my own guys inside and caused the tank commander to button up instantly wink.gif.

And, as for HE.. I hid my Jpz IV behind another house ( so many damned US zooks and tanks around I had to spend most of the time hiding wink.gif ) which the Sherman proceeded to area target (cause I had some infantry in there). Anyways, he missed the house with one HE round which ended up landing beside my JpZ IV and immobilising it.

Near miss effects are well and truly in in CM wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Still, my reserve force surprised the hell out of his flanking force.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What makes you think they were surprised? It isn't like you ambushed them and wiped me out... far from it, and now those same "reserves" are in trouble...

Ahhh.... those IG's are 150s smile.gif

Bil

Guest Schuggerbaby
Originally posted by Lorak:

what about troops yelling, curseing, and calling their commander an idiot? Will I hear this from both speakers? and if so...Can I cut it off? smile.gif

No, but you can send them immediatly into combat if they start insulting you . They continue to scream a bit as well as cursing but they are quite very soon... biggrin.gif

Schuggerbaby

Guest PeterNZ

Is it just me, or in CoolJay's SPR sounds, do dying americans sound like wounded puppies? =)

love those sounds.. but still :> hehe

Peter

FWIW, incoming shells (and I've heard WAY too many of them, and ain't heard much else since smile.gif ) do not make high pitched whistles like this VVVVEEEEESSSSHHHHHH nasal stuff. The God of War doesn't whine, He roars. Incoming shells sound like big-ass tornados RAPIDLY approaching. For those of you who have also missed out on the joy of being tornadoed, the usual decription of tornados sounding like freight trains will work fairly well for incoming shells.

Shells not aimed at you don't get that loud and have a dopler effect. Shells aimed at you have a constant pitch and get LOUD very quickly. This is how experienced troops know when and when NOT to hit the deck, thus preserving their asses and supply of Cool Points cool.gif

When shells explode, they do not go BOOM. If they are ground bursts, they go KAARRUMMP, while airbursts are very short, sharp, painfully lound BANGs. After the explosion, if your ears still function, you can hear the shrapnel whizzing through the air. This sounds rather like a load of bird shot going by, a sort of tearing RRZZZZZ that fades out in about 1/2 second. After this, you can generally hear people cursing, screaming in pain, and/or crying for momma.

So, in summary, the correct sound for incoming shells is:

rrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOAAARRR-karRUMP-RRrrzzz-MOMMA MOMMA OH ****!

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm

Guest PeterNZ

yeah but..

don't you think those yanks sound like they've been bitchslapped? :>

i'm playing a game against SS_P and his mg team being shelled by an 88 sound like a cat fight in a dyke bar might wink.gif

PeterNZ

Guest PeterNZ

Sometimes whistle making things would be attached to demoralise the people being bombed.

I wonder if artillery sounds dif in dif language? biggrin.gif

PeterNZ

The sound i hear, when i´m naked und looking in the mirror, is a loud "WOOOOOWWW!" ....

Ups, I´m surprised about all the postings for incoming sound ... what have I done?

No, but again, like Fionn said, there will be "incoming" sound? - Would be great.

Jochen

Guest Madmatt

Just to add to the frenzy of excitement of this feature (Which BTW was mentioned in an Update from Steve last month SPECIFICALLY, tsk tsk for not using the Search feature).

Not only is there a cool incoming sound effect BUT its different depending on the type of incoming fire. Mortars sound much different than rockets which also sound different than the BIG guns back behind the lines...

Madmatt...

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

IIRC, when Steve was testing out the new sounds he made the mistake of having too much arty shelling at the same time making it hard to distinguish individual types of arty. In addition, he had all his FOs in a bunch and they got bombed (or rocketed) by aircraft.

Why search when you can just memorize posts?

Jason (I spend WAY too much time on this forum...)

Guest Big Time Software

You got that right. But don't forget about the bug I uncovered where aircraft (I was also testing Wirbelwinds at the same time) had some sort of FO Heat Seeking Bullet setup and managed to zap most of my FOs during the big boomfest. Needless to say I got a "whoops" out of Charles and a new build that fixed the bug next time around smile.gif

Steve