Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

How to have a tought game against AI

Here is the set up:

May 1945, 1250 Points, German AI, AI Attacking.

For AI buy 8 or more JagdTigers. And some infantry. (or 6 jagdT and some panters)

You can get whatever you feel like even Pershings.

The only time I managed to win was when battle was at night in the fog. I managed to rush my M-36s behind JagdTigers and killed them.

Once I was left wilt just 1 M-36 (my pershings died...) and it killed 3 JagdT before it died too...

If you have some suggestions how to defeat AI let me know. (Rushing units behind JagdTs does not work well against human)

If you want a tough battle with the AI, play the training scenarios, "Grafenwohr" and "Fire and Maneuver". Just because they're called "training" scenarios, don't think the're easy.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

First thing that comes to mind:

Buy about 10 AT minefields.

Second thing that comes to mind:

Hellcats, use cover and race around them

like there's no tomorrow.

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

First thing that comes to mind:

Buy about 10 AT minefields.

Second thing that comes to mind:

Hellcats, use cover and race around them

like there's no tomorrow.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried minefields. The problem is that these are quite expensive and in "Armor" battles you can buy very few of them. Most of the time no tank gets disabled by them.

Hellcats might be OK - but they are relatively useless against infantry. Racing them does not work to well for me.

Aren't Hellcats penetration values too low any way?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by killmore:

Here is the set up:

May 1945, 1250 Points, German AI, AI Attacking.

For AI buy 8 or more JagdTigers. And some infantry. (or 6 jagdT and some panters)

You can get whatever you feel like even Pershings.

The only time I managed to win was when battle was at night in the fog. I managed to rush my M-36s behind JagdTigers and killed them.

Once I was left wilt just 1 M-36 (my pershings died...) and it killed 3 JagdT before it died too...

If you have some suggestions how to defeat AI let me know. (Rushing units behind JagdTs does not work well against human)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forget fog. Try calling upon the services of General Winter (snow, or maybe mud). Wait for the JagdTigers to bog.

------------------

-Doug

Buy Hellcats and Jacksons and 2 sharp shooters. Place the sharp shooters in good shooting positions with wide LOS. Hide all your troops (except the snipers). Don't give the enemy anything to shoot at for the first few turns. Hide your AFVs behind hills and woods. Spread your AFVs far across the map. Wait. As enemy AFVs beging to wander towards the objectives, allow your sharp shooters to button up all enemy tanks. This is *very* important. But don't engage yet. Wait for them to get close.

Once the enemy tanks are buttoned and have come sufficiently close, hunt your AFVs on one flank up to engage a couple of the tanks. Do the same on the other side of the map, but pause them so they don't begin moving immediately. The enemy tanks will turn to face one threat, but not the other. Some of your tanks will be face-on to the JTs (and likely won't get kills), but others will get side shots.

The reason you want the enemy tanks close is so the angles you are shooting them at are near 90 degrees for both frontal and sides shots. If they're too far away, you'll just be firing at extreme angles, and have no real hope of getting penetrations.

You'll have to move you tanks back down after each turn or so. Or plot a number of back and forth movements for one turn. If you do the latter, however, use Move or Fast and not Hunt otherwise your AFVs will simply hunt up and stay there until gravely threatened, then move back down and wait for further orders.

You can also use smoke from mortars/arty to isolate certain enemy tanks so you're not facing all enemy tanks at once.

Gang up on one enemy tank so if one shot misses, you still have a good chance to kill it with another.

Of course, these tactics are much easier to implement against the AI than they are against a human opponent. smile.gif

Good luck!

- Chris

[This message has been edited by Wolfe (edited 08-09-2000).]

Ok, I tried it out.

I could afford 7 Jagdtigers and 2 platoons of Panzergrenadiers for

the AI. (I could have taken 8 JT's but no infantry instead)

For me, I bought 9 Hellcats, a rifle platoon and two 60mm mortars.

I divided the Hellcats into 3 groups of 3, left flank,

right flank and middle. Then I sent them racing around.

After I noticed the JT's, I plotted my moves to circle them

like I was an indian chief.

At the end of turn three, all Jagdtigers are dead.

I've lost 3 Hellcats.

The key is to never let your HC's stop or slow down.

I'm not going to finish the fight as I know I can crush 2 platoons

of infantry with 1 infantry platoon backed up by 2 mortars and 6 Hellcats.

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?