Snipers should be VERY hard to detect and identify

TeAcH

It seems to me that if there was one unit that would be almost invisible (especially to AFVs) it would be the sniper, yet he is seemingly seen far to easily. I would think the sniper would enjoy the same amount of "invisibility" nearly throughout his firing as hidden AT guns do during those first few shots after unhiding. The sniper, with his limited load, should only be spotted at very close distances. I ask for a reexamination thats all.

TeAcH

[This message has been edited by TeAcH (edited 09-24-2000).]

TeAcH,

Your fundamental idea is correct. Unfortunately, what you have in the game are sharpshooters, not snipers. Sharpshooters are simply considered common soldiers who are better than average shots. As such, they lack the special attributes one would normally expect them to have, especially in the stealth and camouflage areas.

There have been several threads on this. I suggest a search under "snipers" as a good starting point.

Regards,

John Kettler

TeAch

So far I never had any problems with my Sniper/Sharpshooter being spotted, even when he is firing. Keeping a long distance to enemy units and good cover ( wood, buildings)may do the trick to solve your problems here.

The best intel I got from an enemy Sharpshooter was "Crew?" when he sprinted over some open terrain. I only managed to identify him fully was after the battle.

I think they are by now a very powerful tool and I won't see them further upgraded. They are great to gather intelligence of enemy movement by just staying hidden on a wooden hilltop and they seem always to be successful to force a TC to button up.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schugger:

Keeping a long distance to enemy units and good cover ( wood, buildings)may do the trick to solve your problems here.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suggest moving the sharpshooter to a new spotting position after each firing, otherwise he will attract attention. I've lost many sharpshooters after NOT taking this advice.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Monticello:

I suggest moving the sharpshooter to a new spotting position after each firing, otherwise he will attract attention. I've lost many sharpshooters after NOT taking this advice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Monticello, this is an important point.

They will draw more attention to themselfes ( at least it seems to me so )if everything else is quite on the battlefield. As the Sharpshooter is only able to make one or two shots per turn, I usually issue one or two pause orders and plot a movement path to a different position.

In one of my PBEM games, I had a sniper sitting in some woods with no ammo. Along comes an allied infantry squad walking straight towards him. I thought that he would be spotted immediately. Boy was I ever surprised when the infantry squad walked right past my sniper without even a casual glance my way. They were so close that the bases practically touched!!! The sniper wasn't even on Hide!!