Survey

Guest grunto

i was searching for 'wargames,' 'grognards' and the like and found battlefront.com. CM was still in its infancy but i kept checking back, then was a latecomer to downloading the gold demo, but ever since playing vot and discovering map view 8 (all bases covered... 3d, overhead views) was totally hooked.

first impression of vot was that the mg42s were 'much scarier and more realistic' than in close combat.... and the 150 sig was a monster which needed to be put down quickly lest it reduce an american's infantry force to 'ribbons.'

from the beginning i was impressed that bts was not going after the 'twitch' crowd but was actually developing a sort of 'old-style' wargame. it's as if it's the 'best of several' worlds for an old-school avalon hill/squad leader fanatic such as myself.

andy

It was mentioned at a Civ2 site. I have some very limited experience with ASL and World at War from way back, but I'm really a strategy gamer, not a tactical war buff. Downloaded the demo for my new W2K laptop, and ordered the game next day. First game I buy in 2 1/2 years.

It looks that good.

C.

I heard about off on for a few months on

gamesdomain, CGW, and usenet. However, the name Combat Mission, 3D, and RTS made me think this was a WWII, Warcraft.

The Gamespot reviewed caused me to visit the site.

BTW (by the way), TIA is thanks in advance.

I found it after following USENET wargames newsgoup.

The thread that caught my eye was from Fionn. biggrin.gif

I think the subject was something to the extent that: Combat Mission models armor penetration for 30 and 60 degree off angle shots.

I was like bull***t. What kind of company spends that much attention to detail on a wargame nowadays? I mean, after all, German armor, no matter what angle is invincible to attacks except from the rear. LOL. (At least that is what I had really thought from playing countless hours of CC1.)

I clicked the link, downloaded the beta demo, and have never, ever looked back. What an education to warfare this game has been for me.

------------------

BJ Simpson

Visit www.arrl.org for information about Ham Radio.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

heard about it fall of 98 when they were working with AH while playing Close Combat on the Zone. checked back from time to time. ordered in fall of 99. long time player of SL & ASL. have many wargame sims. have all the CC series (don't play 'em any more.. maybe cc1 sometimes..). this is the Best of the Best.. Keep it up Steve and Charles

remember to duck and run

Hmm. Well, way back I used to have a subscription to The General, AH's magazine. Well, sorta AH's. smile.gif Anyway, they mentioned then about the computer version of SL coming out. I still can't remember the original name. I thought it was Beyond Squad Leader but I think that's wrong. So, I was very interested at the time. When I called to make a preorder, they said, No and they weren't sure when it was going to be released.

The woman told me that it may go past it's projected release date. I then read an article in The General that it was put on hold indefinitely at one point. Never renewed my subscription the next year, so it was out of sight out of mind. Next things next, AH is purchased by Hasbro..blah blah blah.

I then got an email from somewhere (one of the sites I used to visit) that reviews all types of games. I clicked on it last Saturday, which is amazing, because I typically delete them. Saw a review for CM, followed all the links until I finally arrived at the Battlefront website.

Since then, I have been reading the board for 3 days straight now. Am starting to drool. Wife is preparing for a loss of time with me. Kids are in hiding. Cat is scared. Computer is preparing for an overload session. General pandemonium.

I can't wait. smile.gif

GI Tom

Hmmm...I can't remember exactly where I first saw CM. It was either on MacGamer's Ledge or when I was aimlessly looking for interesting demos on the -hack- AOL Mac Download server. For the sake of argument I'll say I first saw it on MGL, 'cause I don't want to attribute ANY good thing to AOL. tongue.gif

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.