Defending against OPFOR in Task Force DeGoey

Jingo

Fixed wing sorties in TacOps are not always limited to only one appearance on the map.

A. If a sortie appears on the map and drops its bombs then it will always be removed from play.

B. If a sortie appears on the map and does not drop its bombs then it will usually be available again - but not always.

So ... that may have been the same sortie that was chasing your Cobras rather than a new one.

Thanks for your insight MajorH! I didn't know about how that worked.

But I'm not sure this is a factor in this case.

My SAM's already shot down 1 MIG, then Hit and Aborted a second MIG.

If I recall correctly, two more MIGS dropped cluster bombs. (one missed with the clusterbomb)

Then the fifth one used its cannon against my Cobras.

That aborted MIG might have come back, but I wouldn't expect the others to.

Do jets attacking with cannon come back for another attack?

BTW, will we be able to pre-order TacOps 4? smile.gif

Perhaps I should have said, "Can't hurt you much." But the AI never uses that garrison for anything but sniping, in my experience so far. A human opponent could be more creative, I'm sure.

As your air power experience shows, it's hard to knock out the troops around the nuke facility--especially that little outpost down south at the T-junction! Those must be the elite do-or-die Presidential Guards Martyrdom Battalion. Sometimes, letting the jets draw fire from AA units and then hitting those units with Cobras works.

>Do jets attacking with cannon come back for

>another attack?

Yes - usually but not always.

>BTW, will we be able to pre-order TacOps 4?

I don't like to do preorders. Preordering puts too much stress on me to hurry during the final surge to master and increases the risk of annoying the customers.

I think "just in time" inventory management will work well enough. I don't expect thousands of people to be jockying for a copy during the first week of sales smile.gif .

[ May 06, 2002, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: MajorH ]

>Perhaps I should have said, "Can't hurt you

>much." But the AI never uses that garrison for

>anything but sniping, in my experience so far.

Eyes are useful weapons in TacOps. A single hidden arty observer can severely punish a battalion.

The AI can use the sightings of those units to improve its arty and air strike efforts against your troops around the facility. The AI may also consider what those guys can legally see when it develops its end game assault tactics.

If you don't kill them, then you should at least keep them smoked.

What are the excat effect of smoke on AA units in TacOps?

Guessing from the message here ut seems that non-thermal AA units suffer from smoke, no matter whether they fire directly upwards or all over them map, and thermal AA units are not affected at all. Is that actually true for TacOps 3.1.2 and will it be in 4.x?

AA vs fixed wing: Smoke is irrelevant unless the AA unit is in smoke and does not have thermal or radar equipment - in which case the AA unit is blinded. Smoke that is only "between" a ground unit and a fixed wing marker is always irrelevant. Smoke that is underneath a fixed wing marker is always irrelevant.

AA vs helo flyng at nap of the earth altitude: If an AA unit does not have thermal or radar sights and if smoke is on the AA unit, or smoke is between the AA unit and the helo, or smoke is on the helo then the smoke blocks the line of sight of that AA unit.

AA vs helo flyng at medium altitude: If an AA unit does not have thermal or radar sights and if smoke is on the AA unit, then the smoke blocks the line of sight of that AA unit. If smoke is between the AA unit and the helo and if the AA unit is very close to the smoke then the line of sight may be blocked.