Does anyone know how prevent carpal tunnel syndrome?

If you feel any pain or discomfort using your computer, you're doing something wrong. Make sure you are sat properly. An adjustable computer chair is really a necessity - armrests optional, but a mid-length backrest is needed.

If you sit up straight, your feet should be flat on the floor (technically) and the monitor should be just below your line of vision. You should be at least an arm's length away from the monitor. The upper part of your arms should hang vertically, the lower part should be horizontal, and the keyboard and mouse should be positioned to allow this.

It's also a good idea to have some padding for your wrists - I have two foam pads for my keyboard, and a decent mouse pad (hard as mouse pads go, but soft compared to the table).

That's about it. Good posture is a very good way to prevent problems. Sit up, back straight! (as my Dad would say).

David

As a carpal sufferer myself (saw the doctor after I had already done a bunch of damage) 8(, I can pass on the techniques I use my doc taught me to stop it getting worse.

1.) if your wrists EVER hurt when computing, just stop. Get up and walk around. Sitting there and stretching your wrists to get rid of pain isnt good enough its better to change your entire spinal pattern.

2.) Whenever you remember (I time it with when I save my documents or games which is often) stretch your entire arm behind your neck and rotate your wrist. (Do both arms)

3.) Try to use your mouse with your off hand and rotate it once every few days. This is actually a lot easier than it sounds I can now use my mouse with either hand very easily. While keyboard use is bad for your wrists mouse movement can be as bad if not worse, so rotate that mouse hand.

4.) Get good posture and try to prevent your wrists from being bent while computing.

I learnt my lesson and my wrists have gotten a little better over time (certainly they are not worse) using these techniques.

hope this helps

_dumbo