Tank Museum

The current edition of the Army Times has an interesting story about William Gasser and his private tank museum, which consists of about 95 vehicles, both tanks and artillery.

The organization is:

The American Armoured Foundation Tank and Ordnance War Memorial Museum

"The foundation collects, displays and restores significant military armory dating from the American Revolution to Desert Storm. The collection ranges from a rare U.S. World War I-vintage tank to a captured Iraqi tank. ... Also in the museum are thousands of artifacts such as uniforms, headgear and flags."

Amongst the collection is a German Panzer IV and a Russian T-34.

And most important of all - the collection is moving! It is being relocated to Danville, VA from Mattituck, NY. They don't provide an opening date yet, but some of the equipment has already been moved.

The Wright Museum (in Wolfboro NH) displays ... one of the largest collections of military vehicles from this era.  The collection includes the only fully-operational American tank to cross the Rhine which still exists...

Breaks my heart… I've been to the Museum when it was in Mattituck (a small town on the north fork of long Island). It not only has an excellent collection of vehicle's but a whole range of arms and equipment. A lot of things from WWII, Panzerfaust/schrecks, MG42's, uniforms. They had several diorama's that were extremely well done. Every afternoon on the weekends they would start up a vehicle and run around a little (it was a small place). When I was there they had a MarkIV maneuver around.

It turned out that not only were they running out of room but the neighbors started complaining about the noise (No good lousy sons of …).

I thought they were moving to PA. Where exactly is Danville, on the coast or closer to the Shenendoah?

The Danville AAF Tank Museum URL is below.

http://www.aaftankmuseum.com/

I wrote an email a couple of months back and they wrote back saying they would open in October or November.

Danville is about 70 miles north of Greensboro, NC, about 80 miles west by southwest of Richmond, Va, about 90 miles from Staunton, Va.

My 8yr old is excited about it too. He is also competing with me on CM time...

The Iraqi tank they have is a Pzkw IV.