Books

Yes,it does,but I was thinking in the lines of creating a sort of library of interersting skirmishes.For example,

in Max Hastings "Overlord" book,there is an interesting anecdote of a squad that is engaged by a german MG unit,who has occupied a building across a town-square.The US squad requests naval guns to help them out.A minute later or so the guns hit home.MG squad gone,house gone.

There are countless stories like this in countless books.But instead of buying every book on the market it would be very nice to have some "review´s" of the ones people have found to be the most ,if not the most accurate,"engrossing".Again this is just a thought.

Ghost Dog

P.S

"Overlord" by Max Hasting is a real nice book,and for what is worth,I recommend it.

D.S.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the midst of Hastings' OVERLORD right now. I find his anecdotal stories a nice supplement to THE LONGEST DAY, and he provides wonderful portraits of several leaders on both sides. While I feel his breathless, effusive praise of the German soldier a bit silly, it's a nice change of pace from the typical pro-Allied prejudice in WWII writing. I think he also short changes the allies capacity to adapt their tactics, focusing instead on their failures early in the campaign. Hopefully, later in the book he will address the fact that they did successfully alter their tactics with favorable results.

Despite these minor criticisms, this is a great read! His journalistic writing style yields a smoothly flowing narrative, and I find the organization to be outstanding(always a tricky thing in a campaign with so many simultaneous events). Highly recommended!

------------------

Rob Varak

Editor

Site on Sound: The Web's Premier Site For Musical Discussion

www.siteonsound.com

I believe it is out of print. I ordered my copy from Barnes & Noble's Rare and Out of Print section. Still only cost me $24.00 for a quality used copy.

Feel free to click through my web site it you're going to use B&N. smile.gif

------------------

Rob Varak

Editor

www.siteonsound.com

Anyone got a tip for a book about Fallschirjager operations 44-45.

Most books I´ve seen seems to deal with the

earlier ops.,Belgium and Crete.

Follow this link to pre D-Day operations,an out of print book now on the web. http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/wwii/104-13/104-13.HTM

The main page for Out of print books; http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/online/bookshelves/Out-Print.htm

Bye,GD

[This message has been edited by Ghost Dog (edited 02-29-2000).]

FallshirmJaeger.. Humm.. let me think.

Have found the following:

1)chutes were very bad.

2)couldn't carry any equipment on jumps(see 1)

3)had to wear knee and elbow pads (see 1)

4) landed on their faces (see 1)

5) had funny looking helmets (this may have been because of reason 1, but i'm not sure, I guess if they used the WWI spiked helmets they could have been used as human lawn darts though....)

Lorak

P.S. sorry, just i haven't see to much on them either.

------------------

-------------------------

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. Without my rifle I am useless. Without me, my rifle is useless...

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

[This message has been edited by Lorak (edited 02-29-2000).]

Guest gyrene251

Here's a few selections: "Pegasus Bridge" by Stephen Ambrose.

"Company Commander" By Charles MacDonald.

"Against the Panzers" by Allen Vannoy.

....but if you made the jump you could always watch your likewise airborne general Kurt Student picking up some diplomacy pointers from the SS morale officer.

"On the 14th whilst negotiating a peace with Dutch forces in Rotterdam he was accidentally shot in the head by a member of the 1st SS Panzer Division whose unit had stumbled across the building being used for the negotiations."

Bye,GD

Just found this one,"Green Devils"

by Jean-Yves Nasse.

"This is the product of 10 years research. It contains personal accounts from over 150 veterans, accompanied by over 200 original photographs. It covers the battles of the Fallschirmjäger from 1939-1945 as told by the men who were there. It is a must for all Fallschirmjäger enthusiasts and historians. I found it very interesting. Most of the personal accounts were accompanied by photos of the men themselves. Most of the other pictures are amateur photographs, which unlike ones taken by war correspondents, have captions and date and place when it was taken."

ISBN 2908182629 Published by Histoires & Collections. 1997

Large Format Hardcover. 144PP. Price £19.95

Taken from the excellent site at http://www.eagle19.freeserve.co.uk/

Now enough about me,how are You?

Bye GD

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ghost Dog:

Anyone got a tip for a book about Fallschirjager operations 44-45.

Most books I´ve seen seems to deal with the

earlier ops.,Belgium and Crete.

Follow this link to pre D-Day operations,an out of print book now on the web. http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/wwii/104-13/104-13.HTM

The main page for Out of print books; http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/online/bookshelves/Out-Print.htm

Bye,GD

[This message has been edited by Ghost Dog (edited 02-29-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GD,

You may already know this,but after Crete Hitler stopped nearly all parachute opns due to the losses suffered in Crete.

The German Airborne units were thereafter used as elite Infantry in hard places like Monte Cassino and in France. I have a book about them in specific but I can't get it out of storage just now. frown.gif

Hey GD,

Here is a link to one of the pages of our website that contains many books from the German perspective of WWII, I hope you find something you like ... I highly recommend "The Forgotten Soldier" a truly incredible read for anyone interested in WWII. biggrin.gif

http://members.xoom.com/aufklarung/index11.htm

~G

------------------

"It is well that War is so terrible, lest we grow to fond of it"

Robert E. Lee

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RobVarak:

I believe it is out of print. I ordered my copy from Barnes & Noble's Rare and Out of Print section. Still only cost me $24.00 for a quality used copy.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OUCH!!! 24 BUCKS!!!! Igot mine at a local used book store for 5 dollars!!! And its in great condition. Before you guys go throwing your money at the internet I would suggest checking your own local booksellers...I would hate to see the fine institution of bookstores go the way of the dodo...Mmmm dodo omelette... wink.gif

Madmatt...

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

OUCH!!! 24 BUCKS!!!! Igot mine at a local used book store for 5 dollars!!! And its in great condition. Before you guys go throwing your money at the internet I would suggest checking your own local booksellers...I would hate to see the fine institution of bookstores go the way of the dodo...Mmmm dodo omelette... wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great except that until my local ma and pa store decides to drop its inventory on my desk, allow me to pick what I want, and deliver it to me at work (where I spend WAY too much of my time) I'm gonna use my handy little mouse to get me what I need. smile.gif

FWIW, the bookstore that it actually came from was some obscure little place in Carol, Montana. Some ma or pa got a piece of my action at least. I love those independent brick and mortar places too, but I don't have nearly enough time to spend in them.

Have a great vacation, Madmatt. If you think we're all jonesin' now, just wait until we have to go without CMHQ updates.

------------------

Rob Varak

Editor

www.siteonsound.com