Allied Winter Vehicle Camo

Hey guys,

I just wanted to stop in and get some opinions on some textures I'm working on. Sorry about the long load time.

Shermans.jpg

So far, I've only completed the US Sherman tanks and have given them a thorough but somewhat abused whitewash. I just wanted to make sure things are looking good before I keep going so comments and feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

pritzl

[This message has been edited by pritzl (edited 08-06-2000).]

Babra,

All those are winter camo (except for one whitewashed Tiger that I really like). I want to use the simple whitewash that I see in many photos. Heck, in some photos, the tanks are covered in white sheets for camo. eek.gif

BTW, I thought I might take a crack at making a sheet texture, just to see if it is possible. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the kind words and for the feeback. It was very helpful. I took your advice and dirtied them up, but just a tiny bit.

There are several reasons. First, these textures are based off a photo of Shermans from the 40th Tank Battalion, 7th Armored Division taken near St. Vith sometime during the Battle of the Bulge. For the most part, the tanks are a very bright white (easy to tell relative to the newly fallen snow around them) with only a small amount of wear on the whitewash.

I would love to be able to make Shermans that are very dirty with lots of wear on the whitewash, etc. Unfortunately, there are a couple of technical problems with this. First, the various Shermans share a bunch of textures. This makes it impossible to vary their overall color schemes much without making some of the tanks look stupid. In essence, you end up with a tank that has a pristine turret on the sides, really messed up on the top, clean white back, and beat up hull sides. Botton line is that they all must look remarkably similar.

Because they all need to look so similar, I was very careful about how much general wear to apply while still allowing some suspension of belief so that it doesn't seem like the same variants of Shermans are carbon copies (even though they are).

With that in mind, I did make a few improvements. Also, there are no combatibility issues with these textures. All U.S. and Free French (I think, I didn't check) are fully winterized while the commonwealth shermans are not. There are also no conflicts with similar vehicles such as the M10 or M7 Priest.

These textures are being done on the Mac, but It won't take me too long to convert them to BMP files.

A note to any Mac users...I'm currently working on a complete texture set for our use. It includes all the German Vehicles and guns so graciously provided by (stolen from) David Molinarolo and Stephan Galambos which are posted at the Combat Mission HQ. I've tweaked a few of them to remove pink pixels and what not but they remain otherwise unchanged.

Hopefully somebody with experience using rescompare can help me out with creating some kind of installer for the Mac Mod. As I get closer to completing the textures, I'll get in touch with madmatt and see about making the whole thing available to PC and Mac users from somewhere online. As for the vehicles provided by David and Stephan, I'll need their permission to include them. It would be nice though since installing the PC mods on the Mac involves opening resedit and pasting them in which can get tedious very quickly.

So, what's to be done before my project is finished?...

Next, I'll work on the U.S Tank destroyers. I'm leaning towards leaving Allied trucks, halftracks and jeeps the standard green textures. Anyone ever seen many of these whitewashed? I'm assuming it would have been rare for a number of reasons. What about U.S. scout and recon vehicles? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm also not sure what to do with the Commonwealth equipment. Infantry will be left the standard textures as well due to the vast majority not wearing winter uinforms and the typical "bed sheet" camo looking too much like a carbon copy cutout.

Thanks for the input guys.

pritzl

I've seen photos of whitewashed HT's and other U.S. vehicles. Usually there were patches left undone, like around the bumper numbers and other indentifying marks. I've also seen photos where it appeared that the crew attempted to apply the whitewash in a camo pattern, leaving stripes or patches of green.

Most of the few photos of winter-camo'ed German vehicles I've seen were just solid whitewash too, but I have seen some that looked like the camo pattern mods that have been done for CM.

Speaking of sheets, many G.I.'s used them for their personal camo. They didn't have the neat snow suits that some of the Germans did. A neat winter mod would be to have G.I.'s wearing their greatcoats. There's lots of photographic evidence for that. Also they often wore their cold-weather caps with the flaps pulled down under their steel pots.

-- Mike Zeares (p.s. your tanks look great, can't wait 'til your final version is available for PC's)