Steel Panthers: World at War expected release date

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

I just checked out the SP:WAW site at http://spwaw.matrixgames.com/whatsnew.asp and Matrix Games is expecting to release it by the last week of March/first week of April.

Apparently, the Armour Penetration model is very similar to Combat Mission's from what I've read about it in the past. You'll need the CD from SPII or SPIII for it to work though.

I know, I know...2D, but something to play until CM comes out.

------------------

"Cry Woe...Destruction...Ruin and Decay. The worst is Death...and Death will have His day."--Gen. Chang

Guest Big Time Software

I don't mean to nitpick, but...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Apparently, the Armour Penetration model is very similar to Combat Mission's from what I've read about it in the past.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not even close smile.gif Sure, their system sounds a lot more realistic than the original SP (hard not to improve it), but it still doesn't scratch the surface that CM covers. It really can't unless they have a true 3D physics engine and a mathematics and research nut at the helm of the code smile.gif

Steve

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

OK, point well taken. I was just going on what was mentioned in their FAQ or whatever. Really, I didn't think it was near as close to as accurate as your 3D calculations and ballistics modelling concerning X shell at Y angle at Z armor thickness and all that good stuff, but yeah, it did sound a lot better than the original penetration model where any hit right on top of the turret seemed to penetrate to some degree. smile.gif

Thanks for the FYI, B&G. For those who aren't rabid SP'rs, SP World at War will be a free downloadable game from TGN and The Raiders. It should not be compared to CM...after all what could? SPW@W is a true labor of love by some very gifted folks to produce the kind of SP we all wanted to see. I look forward to it's release just as much as I do CM's

Guest Big Time Software

As soon as CM is out the door I know *I* will be giving it a shot. Why? Because I really wanted to love SP but there were too many things that just felt wrong about it. From what I can tell the new SP WAW fixes quite a number of them. IGOUGO is still in there, but if they fixed the other stuff up half as well as it looks then I'll enjoy the redone version much more than the original. Now how is that for a first in computer gaming history? smile.gif

Steve

P.S. OK, first I will have to find my SP CD smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Trademarks can't be sold or given away in any form other than by the holder of said trademark. "World At War" was trademarked by Avalon Hill and those rights transfered over to Hasbro. In theory Matrix Games can't use that title (provided of course it was in fact trademarked).

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Trademarks can't be sold or given away in any form other than by the holder of said trademark. "World At War" was trademarked by Avalon Hill and those rights transfered over to Hasbro. In theory Matrix Games can't use that title (provided of course it was in fact trademarked).

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the game's full title is Steel Panthers: World at War. Would this still violate the trademark? I wouldn't think so.

• 2 months later...

Well as the former Ol' Blood & Guts, I must chime in.

Yes SP:W@W is a free game. What happened was Matrix games was sold the original SP code and was allowed to alter it as they did to make W@W. However they couldn't charge people for it because the parent company, SSI/Hasbro, would not allow charging due to some legal reason by the SSI/Hasbro executives.

Personally, I downloaded it, played it a little (VERY little) and deleted it. CM puts SP:"Anything" to shame.

------------------

"The greatest risk...is not taking one."

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 06-11-2000).]

OB@G/Maximus is Completely incorrect. There has been no selling of anything. Matrix is a group of gamers who have been given the the SP code by SSI. They are allowed to alter it as the see fit but may not sell or in any way profit from it. The SPWAW free download is the result of SSI's generousity and the gamer's of Matrix who worked so hard to improve a fun, old game.

Completely incorrect???????

OK, so the original code was not sold. Big deal. rolleyes.gif

But from what I understood from the Matrix Games Forum was that SSI/Habro wouldn't even allow them to make CD copies to distribute. So the only way to distribute the game was a free download.

------------------

One major playing feature that I can just not get over is the complete ineffectiveness of the MG42s. I mean the firing of the K98s were the only weapons that the SP German squads could hit anything with. rolleyes.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 06-11-2000).]

I downloaded it and played it for about an hour. Then it got deleted. Im sure I would have enjoyed this game if I hadnt played CM. Nothing else compares. I cant even get into the whole top down perspective anymore ever since I was able to soar through the battlefield in CM.

Thanks BTS!

TeAcH

------------------

"Ah-ah, I know what you're thinking. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5. Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum - the most powerful hand gun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question, do I feel lucky. Well, do ya punk?"

SP: World at War is a conversion of the DOS version of SP to Windows plus some enhancements and new scenarios. It is a labor of love and the full version is free. The catch is that the game contains a bar that posts ads.

Enjoy.

I like the bar that posts ads. I think it is a great idea. Games like Diablo 2 should include advertising as levels are achieved. An examlple includes, congratulations on reaching level__X__, enjoy a "COKE".

For CM: A company like "Tanks-a-Lot" could advertise the availability of real tanks for the general public to drive for a fee.

If advertising in games will reduce the cost of games, increase the profitability for developers and offer me insights into avialable products or services, I'm all for it.

Richard Kalajian