Combat Mission Ladder System

Guest hunt52

Won't the scenarios need to be equal sided?

I mean if the scenario calls for an unequal balance in the forces, and the less powerfull force wins, shouldn't he recieve more ranking points than if it was a draw?

May be what I'm asking is, is how will points be awarded Per scenario, WIN/LOSE,

objectives, NON broken troops left standing?

I will play ladder games no matter how this plays out.

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

OK Fionn I see your point. And it must be working just fine. But I still think that if I play you I would learn more, even if I would be smashed, than palying somebody as good as me.

What I wouldn't want in the system is some sort of dicrimination (don't know if the word exist in English) where someone does not want to play someone else because he is to good for the guy.

But I think I'll be playing ladder game. You convinced me.

Good day to you all

------------------

Veni, vidi, vici

Julius Caesar

Looks great hunt52,

You should probably list the players by order of ranking decs. Also what kind of stats will players get when clicked? Gameswon, gameslost, gamesdrawn, gamesplayed, win%, highest rank acheived, etc.. Also will their be after action comments?

yobobo

Guest hunt52

Thanks yobobo... smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

You should probably list the players by order of ranking decs.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is very planned. I just got the scoring algorithm last night, and am going to be building it into the system tomorrow (midterms today!) Have no fear... biggrin.gif

Also what kind of stats will players get when clicked? Gameswon, gameslost, gamesdrawn, gamesplayed, win%, highest rank acheived, etc.. Also will their be after action comments?

Stats RULE! I'm a nerd, I love stats. {ME: Foams at mouth}

The more stats you put in, the better. Probably easier to take them out later if not needed than add them later. I think a really useful stat would be to have an Allied and German commander ranking. This way players could see an overall ranking, and then a ranking for each side. Plus, it would give you a reason to include American/British rank icons as well as German ones.

Jason

In your gamestable you should add id= this will track all games played by username so players can have a history of their games, and who they played, outcome, comments etc..

You can build in the cgi script win% $percent=0;

if($data{gamesplayed}>0){$percent=int(($data{gameswon}/$data{gamesplayed})*100);}

print " Winning %$percent\%";

Another thing to remember is when new players sign up you should have the script run a search to make sure that name is not already in use. I use a confirmation email that includes a code to activate a new player. This helps to make sure the email address is real.

Click here http://tournamenthouse.com/CC2/CC2.shtml and try all the links, Player seach, Player history, Standings, etc..

If you need help in making and displaying any stats let me know smile.gif

[This message has been edited by yobobo (edited 03-27-2000).]

Guest hunt52

yobobo,

I hadn't planned on keeping game by game records for each player... again, if people want this, then I will work it out... smile.gif

As for the American/German commander thing, I believe that that will happen. Not quite sure how, but I think it will... must talk to Fionn...

Also - for the keeping a record of games I have to talk to Matt. The ladder won't be on my server, and I need to find out how much space I can have... I can see this spiraling rapidly out of control (in a good way though... smile.gif )

How about this for some preliminary stats:

Mean score.

Best score.

Worst score.

Wins.

Losses.

% Wins.

- Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I don't know what purpose having two nationality ranks would serve, but the site is neat.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Three nationalities... the Brits are different than the Amis. I would rather be known as an Oberst than a colonel, but that is my personal preferance smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>1. Any suggestions?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My only suggestion would be to go to a multi-national rank system. The players would indicate their preferance on registration.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>2. Anyone going to play non-ladder games?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most definitely! I really don't take ranking systems of any kind seriously. Wargaming is a learning tool for my, not a competition.

I should have said 'multiple' ranks instead of two. If you do add multiple ranks, you will need a rank equivalent page so people can compare and keep things straight.

If yuo add English ranks you'll also need some insignia pics. does anybody know of a website with English rank insignia? I have German and American websites bookmarked, but no English.

Jason

www.dod.gov.au/dpao/publications/ranks/

...is a link to pics of the Australian Army badges of rank. Assuming that you will only be using officer ranks ( frown.gif ) then there is effectively no difference between these and WW2 UK badges of rank. If you are going to include NCOs then the crests for WO1 and WO2 need to be changed.

Regards

Jon

More stats!</p>

How about:</p>

Number of games played

Total Victories</p>

Major Victories</p>

etc...</p>

Win percentage</p>

Longest Run of Wins</p>

Highest Rating</p>

Current Rating</p>

Current Streak (number of wins in a row)</p>

Length of time since last game posted - handy to know whether the player is still active or not</p>

Who is the highest on the rating system (world champ?) and a history of who was highest including the time that they were in that vaunted position</p>

The more stats the better IMO smile.gif</p>

Bruce</p>

Guest hunt52

Ok, I realize that this post is very mundane compared with the Official announcement of the greatness of BTS, but here it goes:

1. German ranks are in. Still working on the images for them.

2. As you wish. I have added the following stats:

1. Wins

2. Losses

3. Win %

4. Mean Score

5. High Score

6. Low Score

7. High Rank

8. Low Rank

These should give you a better idea of how you stand on the ladder. An unfortunate result of this is that the players who registered lost their registration... (sorry) so they'll have to register again.

- Bill

Bill/Hunt:

Great work. I like what I've been reading in this thread. I too agree that the more stats the better.

Since the Beta Demo release and the daily volume of posts on this sight shot out of sight, I have not followed the forum nearly as closely as of old. So please forgive the impertinence:

Is there a reason we (i.e., the CM community) are not running our ladder through, for instance, LeadEaters?

- Zackary

Guest hunt52

Is there a reason we (i.e., the CM community) are not running our ladder through, for instance, LeadEaters?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure who you think I am... I'm not a beta tester, not Steve or Charles, not even one of the lucky people who has seen the beta...

I'm just a regular CM addict who got enlisted to write up the ladder... so it is being done by someone in the "CM community" smile.gif

Also I keep asking for suggestions about the ladder. Shoot, I'm not going to use it that much - it's for the community. Colin asked for rank names and it got in in *I think* about 45 seconds. Someone else asked for German rank insignia - they took a day or two (it's hard to take 300x200 images and make them 16x24 and look nice). Most recently people asked for stats (which I wasn't going to include) Most of them are in now, and I am "tweaking" (read - writing) the rest. Really the CM community is running the ladder. I am just writing it for them. smile.gif

Great work. I like what I've been reading in this thread.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks biggrin.gif!

- Bill