Can tank tractor free bogged tanks?

Hello,

Through smoke and flames and crunchy bits I wend my foolish way to ask this question: Can tank tractors be used to free bogged tanks / vehicles?

And if they can't, and battles are too short to use them to recover knocked out armour, is their only purpose in CM life to drag guns around ( or act as cheap squad taxis - I saw one post about that)?

*Respectfully doffs cap to Germanboy* "I dun a search an' I couldna find nuffink".

Thanking you humbly for your insights.

OGSF

Rather than waiting for a reply, couldn't you have gone and tried it for yourself?

I sincerely doubt there are any vehicles in CM which could be used to un-bog a tank. There are gun tractors, but tank tractors? Have you seen a tank tractor? They are FREAKING HUGE!! You can tow a gun with a half-track, but it takes something rather bigger to tow a tank.

David

Thank you for taking the time to reply..

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Rather than waiting for a reply, couldn't you have gone and tried it for yourself?

Well, yes David, that was one of the options available to me. Why do you ask?

I sincerely doubt there are any vehicles in CM which could be used to un-bog a tank. There are gun tractors, but tank tractors? Have you seen a tank tractor? They are FREAKING HUGE!! You can tow a gun with a half-track, but it takes something rather bigger to tow a tank.

David<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't seen a *real* tank tractor, but I have some photos of them. Yes, now that you point it out, I can see how a tank tractor would be *waaay* too big to fit in this game.

So I assume from your sincere doubt that the answer is "No, you can't use a tank tractor to unbog a tank because a tank tractor is not in the game. And you can't use a gun tractor because you need something rather bigger to tow a tank."

Thanks Dave, have a good one!

[This message has been edited by OberGrupenStompinFeuhrer! (edited 07-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by OberGrupenStompinFeuhrer! (edited 07-29-2000).]

OGSF wrote:

> So I assume from your sincere doubt that the answer is "No, you can't use a tank tractor to unbog a tank because a tank tractor is not in the game. And you can't use a gun tractor because you need something rather bigger to tow a tank."

LOL

I wasn't THAT cryptic, was I??

David

Guest Michael emrys

Nearly all tanks in the war carried tow cables and shackles and were capable of towing other tanks no heavier than themselves over reasonably level terrain. This presumes though that the towed tank has not thrown a tread or suffered other dibilitating damage to its running gear.

I don't know if this is in the game's code, but I doubt it or somebody would have noticed by now. In any event, I personally don't know exactly what is being modeled when a tank is Immobilized. Perhaps it always means that it has damaged its running gear, in which case a tow isn't going to help.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

In any event, I personally don't know exactly what is being modeled when a tank is Immobilized. Perhaps it always means that it has damaged its running gear, in which case a tow isn't going to help.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tank recovery isn't modeled. Just not something you do under fire. The ramming idea is pretty cool though.

Mechanical problems are modeled, as is being bogged in. Even tracked vehicles can get stuck in the mud or hung-up on obsticles.

------------------

He who gets there the fastest with the mostest wins.

Would be nice, if you could order a tank to stop trying to

free itself, so you'd have time to try the ramming thing.

Now the hotheads wreck their tank in about a minute.

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

The Germans did use the 18 ton halftrack to tow damaged tanks infact they had to use three of these vehicles.There are detailed fotos of this in Spielbergers book about the Tigers

But only in terrain which was captured and cleared of enemy resistance.

Officially it was forbidden for tanks to tow other tanks because they could damage their motors with doing that.

Later on in the war they developed special tanks for that purpose,Bergepanzers.