Bocage is too easy...

I am playing as the Germans in the "VILLAS BOCAGE" scenario and I have to say that it is amazingly easy...

I must have wiped out nearly 100+ vehicles with the loss of 2 of my MK-IVH'...

The Tiger tank rules the battlefield in this op... Even against Firefly's they knock them out easily...

Im guessing had it no been for the overcast weather the AMIS air power would have had a significant say in the outcome of this scenario...

Has anyone else had it this easy...???

------------------

Quote.

If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no planes at all it's the Luftwaffe." ---German soldier on the Western Front, 1944.

I'm assuming you played against the AI. How about we fire up a PBEM, you as the Germans.

I'm at work now but will be home around 6PM EST. You can find my e-mail address in my profile.

BTW, the scenario or the Ops is fine with me.

Hope to hear from you wink.gif

------------------

The dead know only one thing - it is better to be alive

I had the same results last night playing that scenario, except I only had one PKW IVH to lose. This was the historical outcome so I wasn't surprised. I did lose one Tiger.

The Tigers rulled the field but I learned, after three starts, that you can't let the Tigers just sit there like a pill box, you have to keep them moving.

I don't understand the problem people are having with the Tigers being too easy to knock out. I had Shermans and Cromwells throwing AT rounds at them, and they bounced off the front armor like ping pong balls. Granted, I didn't allow the Tigers to sit there and take it, the best defensive weapon on the Tiger is that 88 sticking out of the front.

As for tanks targeting infantry or crews, rather than targeting enemy tanks, I found that if you over ride the Tac AI by selecting a tank as target, even area target, the tanks will stop shooting at the less important targets.

Maybe I was just lucky in my first play of this scenario, but I found the Tiger an effective weapon.

I mentioned that I started this scenario three times. This was just to try different tactics.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

hmmm, I didn't have that so easy. I'd be interested in what tactics you were using.

like in phase one and then phase two.

In phase one, my tigers were knocked out by

i don't know what (from the front too)

Then again most of the phase one is short

range fighting.

In phase two it was difficult because the one unique thing that the allies can do (and if they have alot of vehicles) is move through the bocage and it is weird when you

have tanks appearing in the middle of your column, I also lost a tiger to a fighterbomber.

In phase 2 to try to eliminate being outflanked as I advanced down into Villers bocage, I had three groups on the three roads and put some "infantry observers" moving through the bocage fields in between.

Actually on the extreme left road I raced two tigers down the road in the hope they could set up from the side looking all the way through a bocage field thus wipe out any

flanking movement on one side. Didn't work I think the allied tanks had moved through already. The major tank battle I had was in phase two.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pillar:

The entire game is too easy against the AI. I only play people! smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pillar, you are obviously a very serious opponent. I only play hamsters, Berli and Joe Squaw, never anyone who might win. Except for Ethan of course, but that's different.

------------------

Andreas

Originally posted by coe:

what was the idea about the tigers keep moving? with their slower turrets? might

this expose them to getting ambushed alot

please explain more....[/quote ]

Spoiler Alert.......

You keep the Tiger, or any tank for that matter, moving because it's harder for the opposition to hit you. Even the Tiger is vulnerable to a lucky hit in a weak spot. I didn't venture into the streets of Viller Bocage because of the threat of ambush. I stayed near the outskirts of town and let the Allied player come to me. Since I was covering the victory flag inside the town, he had to come to me.

The game is easy against the AI, although the AI was trying to flank me all the time. That's why I had to keep moveing my Tigers. Also remember to button up in the presence of Infantry and machine guns.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

I just realized we must be talking about two different games. I was playing the battle scenario, not the operations. Stupid me!

Never mind.

------------------

I have to say the results of this op seem to differ dramatically. My first attempt it at - Tactical draw. I played as the Germans.

I was stupid enough to leave my Tigers unsupported on the main road in column and after the first turn two of them were immobilized by the Allied air support. I thought that they would get bogged if I stuck them near the wooded area. (My excuse anyway!) Come the end of the battle I had lost all but one of my Tigers to the Allied tanks and air support.

End of the op they had lost 68 vehicles. I had lost around 50 if I remember right. My Tigers seemed too weak to me, but it was exremely point blank in some cases. It was literally first hit kill, regardless of tank type.

I played the full 3 ops of this battle...

I knocked out 77 Allied vehicles...

And lost only 5 myself... 1 TIGER

4 Mk-IV's

I heard a plane for quite a while but it did not attack,,, well if it did I didn't know about it... It sounded distant as if it was circling...

And I finished the game in under the required amount of moves and left much of VILLAS-BOCAGE in ruin, not that it wasn't a dump before I started...

CHEERS...

------------------

Quote.

If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no planes at all it's the Luftwaffe." ---German soldier on the Western Front, 1944.

Hmm, keep the tigers moving - because they

are harder to hit. The problem is more

so with the Germans than the allies,

you are limited to going down the narrow

roads because you can't cut through the

bocage, what happend with me is in round

2, the allies floored it through the

bocage into the middle of my column.....

This is hard to prevent. In operation

one, I essentially cleared out everything in the Tigers' lines of sight and

some how some cromwell gets a shot off first

as it crawls into the tiger's LOS...

When I suggested that you keep your Tigers moving I should have been more specific. There are two directions to move a tank, forward and backward. Give the tank a hunt order and then back the tank up. Keep the other guys guessing as to where you're going.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

I only play hamsters, Berli and Joe Squaw, never anyone who might win. Except for Ethan of course, but that's different.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gotcher 75 mike-mikes of Purina Hamster Chow right HERE, you mutant euro-hybrid. That is, if Lord Pickett is ever able to urge his Dormice down that long, open hillside.

Damn, that "commanding position" is looking better all the time, eh?