Desperate graphics card question, someone help, quick

Hi I've got a mate who can get graphics cards at trade price (or so he says) however most of the range are ATi ones; he gave me a list of the following at the specified prices-

-Ati 32meg fury pro vivo (£65)

-Ati 64meg rage fury max (£110)

-Ati 32meg all in wonder 128 (£95)

-Winfast 32meg TnT2 (£72)

-Geforce (can't remember which make) 32meg

tv out (£110)

-Matrox 32meg 400 hd (£75)

ALL THE CARDS ARE AGP

I was just wondering what are Ati cards like at running CM, and other games for that matter?

Remembering I have a pII 350, 128meg of ram; which of these cards is best for my computer. (Is it worth getting the Geforce or will it be wasted on my machine)?

And are these prices a good deal in the UK?

Someone please help me quickly before they all get sold.

P.S. I know there are plenty of previous graphics cards posts, but not many concerning the above.

[

[This message has been edited by Owen (edited 06-28-2000).]

Of that list, the Geforce is your best bet followed by the Matrox. Go now and purchase my son. Geforce might actually improve games on your "low end" system, depending on what you had before. WRT to prices, I don't know the european comparisons, sorry.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Owen:

Juardis, I previously had/have a voodoo banshee AGP card and a voodoo 2, will the Geforce make a big improvement over a Tnt2?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'll need approximately a Pentium III 500-550Mhz and higher to realize the speed of the GeForce over a TNT2.

I would definately avoid ATI cards.

It seems as if people are having problems with the ATI cards primarily with transparency support (which I get with a Rage 128 Pro). They are slower than some of the top of the line cards based on NVidia and 3dfx chips.

The Matrox G400s are pretty good performers, but some people have had problems with transparencies and other occasional problems.

The GeForce may be a bit overpowered for your system. One user on this board claimed that they were getting low frame rates and it may have been due to a CPU that couldn't keep up with the card (transferring data to it). However, if you are thinking of upgrading your CPU/Motherboard in the near future, then the GeForce would be your best bet.

Otherwise I would suggest the Winfast TNT2, which should work with your system with minimal problems. The NVidia reference drivers have been fairly problem free with CM.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Owen:

Juardis, I previously had/have a voodoo banshee AGP card and a voodoo 2, will the Geforce make a big improvement over a Tnt2?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have no idea. I'm a 3dfx man all the way. I went from a Pure3d to 2 V2s to a V3 3000 and now a V5 5500. Just going by what I know and the Geforce is the best of what he listed and not quite as good as my V5.

------------------

Jeff Abbott