OT: U-571 movie

Didn't get to see the History Channel's special, but I wanted to. smile.gif Did you see the time they showed "Flying Tigers" with John Wayne? They had a historian and two AVG vets, whom I know personally (favorite group of mine). They tore it (and the historian, off camera) to shreds, which is good because I didn't like it smile.gif.

------------------

Sosabowski, 1st Pol. Abn.

Yes, I know my name is spelled wrong as a member!

Guest Captain Foobar

Quote from Colin:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>. There should have been sex<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know Colin, a bunch of sweaty dirty guys on a boat? Be careful what you ask for...... wink.gif

But seriously, I just got home from seeing U-571.I sat in the 2nd row, and really it as enertainment. I also enjoyed ripping the plot devices apart on the drive home.

Someone needs to tell these producers that wild coincidences and oddball "just in time" chances don't make people say "WOW THATS INCREDIBLE!!!" Its more like "Wow, that was convenient..." rolleyes.gif

It's like watching any Star Trek episode. The fantastic and outlandish is commonplace and the normal state of affairs.

I always wanted an episode where Kirk just took the ship out and killed a bunch of Klingons or something. The same goes for movies. Just take us there and tell a story... smile.gif

SPOILERS:

Why couldn't they just make a historically accurate submarine movie and include the capture of U-505 within. Why show such an unrealistic concentration of depth charges? Why have non-Germans fire a U-Boat deck gun and knockout a radio station with 1 shot? Why have an underwater sub-fight with no less than four near misses and torpedo's crossing each others path? Why include Keitel in this movie? How in the world could a small crew (6 or so) Americans pilot a German Sub? God that is so stupid! Why use a Balsa-Wood German Destroyer for the end-scene explosion? Why does law allow this movie to make claims that it is the best sub-movie ever?

I will applaud hollywood for at least continuing to provide some form of WWII entertainment, albeit significantly beneath mediocre.

Richard Kalajian

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Foobar:

Quote from Colin:

Someone needs to tell these producers that wild coincidences and oddball "just in time" chances don't make people say "WOW THATS INCREDIBLE!!!" Its more like "Wow, that was convenient..." rolleyes.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it has a lot to do with trying to tell a story within a 2 hour time frame. You just have to squeeze in too much info, otherwise you get a 4 hour movie which test audiences tend to dislike. Thus,producers tend to cram the story in a 2 hour framework. By doing this, they seem to facilitate the need for "convienient" occurances in order to reach the end of the story within 2 hours. I wish studios would get away from this mentality. Sometimes you just need longer to tell a story in enough detail to give the plot/characters justice. I just recently watched Lawrence of Arabia again. It is almost 4 hours long but it is both thorough and entertaining. I think the studios feel a longer movie would affect the $$$$ amount a movie takes in by limiting how many times the movie may be shown in a day (longer movie= fewer show times per day, the fact that test audiences tend to not like longer movies (from what I have read)and longer movies cost more money to shoot.

Allan

[This message has been edited by Allan (edited 04-25-2000).]

In Das Boot the UBoat, when it sank near Gibraltar, went down quite close to 260meters if I recall well! (just saw the film yesterday, it is, in one word, g-r-e-a-t biggrin.gif)

I don't want to see any more submarine movies in my life otherwise I'd be disappointed. wink.gif

The end didn't quite feel right though. For the entire crew and the submarine to be annihilated just at the very end, when they were returning in triumph...just didn't feel right.

Pzldr (oops, sorry)-I didn't like the ending either, but hey, stuff happens... frown.gif. Actually, the ending is a bit different in the book in reference to the A/C types attacking, but I'll let you read it first.

------------------

Sosabowski, 1st Pol. Abn.

Yes, I know my name is spelled wrong as a member!

[This message has been edited by Gen. Sosaboski (edited 04-27-2000).]

The end didn't quite feel right though. For the entire crew and the submarine to be annihilated just at the very end, when they were returning in triumph...just didn't feel right.

It's the canonical end for German war movies, just like a heroic struggle against superior enemy is the canonical end for Hollywood war movies.

Does anyone know of _any_ German war movie (excepting those made by Nazis) that doesn't end with deaths of the main characters? All that I have seen end in that way (All Quiet in Western Front, Stalingrad, Das Boot, Des Teufels General, and the one about Hans-Jochen Marseille).

- Tommi