Stalingrad, a fantastic read.

If any one is interested in this genre, i have I just finished Stalingrad by Anthony Beavor and have come to the conclusion that this must be the best book on World War II i have read, it is relatively new and im not sure if it has been released in the states but its well looking at.

Another must-read on Stalingrad is "Battle for Stalingrad" by Vasili Chuikov. It's a pretty hard book to find, but very illustrive since it is just about the only Russian account of the full battle that has been translated to other languages.

- Tommi

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beau:

If any one is interested in this genre, i have I just finished Stalingrad by Anthony Beavor and have come to the conclusion that this must be the best book on World War II i have read, it is relatively new and im not sure if it has been released in the states but its well looking at.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you liked "Stalingrad" try and find a copy of William Craig's "Enemy at the Gates". It's an older book so there might be some trouble finding it. My wife got me a 1st edition hardcover for Valentines Day last year. smile.gif Ain't love grand.

John

John,

I agree with your opinion of "Enemy at the Gates". I read it years ago and just got a used hardbound copy recently. Simply an amazing book.

Beau,

Another good one is "199 Days - The Battle for Stalingrad", by Hoyt.

Out here...

Just picked up Stalingrad at B&N--yes they do have it. What I found interesting is that they now have Danny Parker's book "Battle of the Bulge" in softback for around 25 dollars (US)..this is an excellent sourcebook for 'Bulge' afficionados (sp?). Also picked up a book about the 743 tank battalion called "A View from the Turret" by William Folkestad.

--------Chris

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jager 7:

John,

I agree with your opinion of "Enemy at the Gates". I read it years ago and just got a used hardbound copy recently. Simply an amazing book...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd have to agree with that. Anybody interested in this subject shouldn't pass this one up.

Michael

If any one is interested in this genre, i have I just finished Stalingrad by Anthony Beavor and have come to the conclusion that this must be the best book on World War II i have read, it is relatively new and im not sure if it has been released in the states but its well looking at.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm agree with you, the book seems a WWII Tolstoi's novel.

Very interesting also the story about Hiwi German forces.

Tony.

Yes, I would agree that this is a very good book about the war in russia. However, if you're in to the Eastern front and would like a great book to read, check out one called "The Forgotten Soldier." It's about the life on the eastern front lived through the eyes of a member of the Grossdeuchland divsion from 42-45. I wish I could remember the name of the author, but my copy is no more, it was a paperback {like Stalingrad} and it is now gone, but reading your post will remind me to get to Amazon.com and order a new copy! One other book you might want to check out is "The Last Battle", by Cornelius Ryan.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kevbo:

However, if you're in to the Eastern front and would like a great book to read, check out one called "The Forgotten Soldier." It's about the life on the eastern front lived through the eyes of a member of the Grossdeuchland divsion from 42-45. I wish I could remember the name of the author, but my copy is no more, it was a paperback {like Stalingrad} and it is now gone, but reading your post will remind me to get to Amazon.com and order a new copy!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The author is Seyer; the book was out of print, but there is now a paperback version available at Amazon which I ordered a few days ago.

Henri

HankWWIIOnline wrote:

Guy Sajer is the author of "The Forgotten Soldier" and also "Soldat" I believe(What I've heard anyway).

No, "Soldat" is by Siegfried Knappe.

Also, there's a controversy whether Sajer really fought in the East Front or not. Knappe certainly was a veteran.

- Tommi

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henri:

The author is Seyer; the book was out of print, but there is now a paperback version available at Amazon which I ordered a few days ago.

Henri<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi,

Guy Sajer's book The Forgotten Soldier is not out of print in the UK. I have seen it in all the book shops in the last two months. Saw it in a book shop two hours ago. Try Amazon.co.uk they may have it.

A book that many believe is as good, and I believe is "very nearly" as good is In Deadly

Combat by Gottlob Herbert Bidermann. If you are in to the Eastern Front I would put both down as a "must read" for personal accounts from the German side.

For histories of the war in the east I would recommend the books by David Glantz. Together with John Erickson he is the man who knows must about the subject in the English language.

Glantz's best books are two recent ones he co-wrote with Jonathan House. When Titans Clashed and The Battle of Kursk. The fact that they are recent matters as the Soviet archives were only openned in the 1990s, expect in the case of John Erickson who was allowed a look in the 1970s.

All the best,

Kip.

I'd also add in dont pass up anything by Walter S Dunn concerning the Soviets in WW2.

His book on Kursk "Kursk Hitler's Gamble 1943" was the 1st work to dispell the myths about the Prokorovka battles and other aspects of the Zitadelle fighting.

Also recomend Dunns "Hitler's Nemesis" if your interested in Red army structure, replacement procedures, numbers etc, during the war.

Regards, John Waters

-----------

"Make way evil, I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!"