WWII Online Game?

Guest Mad Gunman

Guest Mad Gunman

Althogh of course nothing could surpase CM (Except maybe CM2) has anyone heard of "WWII Online" game?? It looks decent, its a combo of tank,infantry,sea, and air warfare. Meant to play on a massive scale online with 1000 players at one time. The graphics look damn good too.

Here is the web site: http://www.wwiionline.com/

Call me a cynic, but I have a feeling the game's reach will far exceed its grasp. Even an ingenious design can be quickly undone by the sort of rabble that massively multiplayer games attract.

That said, I'll probably be part of that rabble when (and if) the game debuts. But I'd probably stick to the aircraft...

------------------

"Arms are my ornaments, warfare my repose." - Don Quixote

WWII-Online has been discussed MANY times on this board and the most congenial outlook on it is that the massive multi-player type games tend to turn into a mass of trash when a lot of youngster get one it and ruin the theme. Take for instance (N)ever Quest, once the realm gets taken over by a bunch of morons, then the game loses its freshness.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mad Gunman:

Ya, I agree with you Maximus. Now that I think about it, if only it was entirely made up of people who played CM...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have YOU read the tripe (and you pool dwellers I mean that in the nicest possible way) in "THE BLOODY PENG CHALLENGE THREAD: ESCAPE FROM DOWNUNDER" thread or any of its previous incarnations ? rolleyes.gif

I'm waiting for this game almost for a year... they did not want me for closed-beta frown.gif

So I hope on the soon release of the game.

An other good online-war-game would be Planetside. Ever heard of this? Should be out in summer 01. It looks something like Halo. http://www.verant.com

Greez

Pain

------------------

War is in my heart

Death is by my side!

[This message has been edited by Pain (edited 12-22-2000).]

You're right, I checked out WWII online and looked at all the demos and screen shots and my jaw dropped. Wow, it looks like being in the war and it's an action/strategy game not just strategy. But the fact remains it's an internet based game and the two things that are a problem with that:

1) You have to continually pay to play, not a one time purchase for a CD.

2) A good majority of internet based games players are assholes and ruin the game and the fun. Either that or they'll figure out a way to cheat which totally takes away strategy or tactics which war is based on.

Guest MantaRay

I don't know why you are damning this game already. Time will tell if it will work. It is a step in the right direction, and with the command structure, players like mentioned above will soon quit or be removed. I have some hope for it, and with Flashpoint too.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

New CM Site. In process of switching. Brought to you by Hardcore Gamers Daily

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

I am actually in the closed beta for WW2OL. It is very nice... very nice I tell you indeed.

It will be geared to keep the spoilers out. Warbirds kept them out from the skill side alone. Ultra reastic sims don't appeal to kids that want to screw things up. It takes time to learn them. These kids are usually too stupid or lazy to take on the challenge.

stimpy

People forgot to mention lag, the bane of all MMO games.

Am I the only one who still has a 56k modem? Probobly...most of the people on this forum have well-paying jobs unlike the 'sweat-shop" pay I get of $5.15 an hour. Why, WHY do T1's have to be so expensive?! smile.gif

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

[This message has been edited by The Commissar (edited 12-22-2000).]

Form what Ive read it seems pretty nice. They will be making considerable improvements as the game progresses with mods ect. The issues wit the obnoxius kids playing should be taken care of like the above post said. Ive already joined the HG panzer division(Herman Goring) the only Luftwaffe Panzer Divsion in WW2. They seem serious and dedicated. So we'll see. But if a few of us get on over there in time for the opening theater of conflict maybe well be dive bombing San Diego by 1945. It seems to me that at the uppper echlons of command serious knowledge of tactics and balance of supplly will be neccessary. Cornered Rat Software said this game will be based on team effort and communication between players. The staff will have to e mail ect. their ideas and plans to one another and come up with something they like, hand it off to a subordinate ect. on down the line till it reaches the platoon commander who wont know if his task is diversionary or part of the main assault ect. The high command will be pullling the strings. Fascinating concept to say the least. It would be great to see some of us from CMers over there pulling the strings and eventully laying siege to New York.