A pbem opponent of mine was telling me he just got 4spks and a subwoofer and he loved the surround sound. I have the same setup and a MX300 sound card which supports 4 spks. But I can't get surround sound. Man that would be cool in view one of a big firefight.

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

I believe CM supports stereo panning, but I don't believe it supports 3D Positional audio (i.e. - 4+ discrete channels of sound).

I'm not sure if it would be worth the time to program support for EAX on the Windows platform. There is quite possibly a developer cost in getting the API support for EAX. I don't know if implementing EAX support would result in some gutting of the current sound code that is somewhat multi-platform at the moment.

Maybe Charles will take these requests into account, but I assume that he probably wouldn't want to support vendor-specific APIs for each piece of hardware out there.

Well, considering EAX is standardized for the most part, I imagine he would only be helping the majority. The biggest flaw in this game is the lack of surround sound support. Considering there are sound cards being released that house 5.1 Dolby digital ready hardware, I think it's about time that BTS gets on the bandwagon... and realize that sound as well as the gameplay makes up a great game.

------------------

"Childhood's over the moment you know you're going to die." -The Crow

Guest kking199

Sound seems to be the element most ignored in games, and IMHO, is as important as gameplay or visuals. Appropriate, accurate, sounds make good games great. I have a SBLive card currently with 3 speakers, and do have good positioning sound. Had 5 speaker setup but moved and current room not suitable to rear speaker setup... frown.gif

[This message has been edited by kking199 (edited 10-25-2000).]

i don't know about the technical stuff, but I've noticed that when you hear an incoming artillery shell, you can tell where it's going to land by rotating until the sound is equally loud from both speakers. I was really impressed when I noticed that.

BTS will be using whatever is native to DirectX I guess. Also, remember they program in mac (?) and port over so they're not going to work extra-hard on special PC stuff.

If you want positional sound, get a couple of people to stand behind you making bang and shouts just a fraction after or before they happen in the game! Easy.

PeterNZ

To simulate the sound of AT fire against a tank turret, place a metal garbage pale over your head, and have the Wife bang the side with a rolling pin. Terribly realistic, and it even simulates the disorientation of the crew. It is also fun for the whole family and can in many cases reduce the frustration of those significant others left out of all the CM fun. smile.gif

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno Weiss

I believe eax is or is going to be part of the direct sound api. I have no idea if it is currently supported in the game or if it ever will be. It would be cool.

Since Aureal has apparently collapsed, I really doubt CM does or ever will support A3D. (The Aureal web site is down, but the drivers were still up for the vortex2 chipset. I have one too, sad a3d didn't catch on.)

Well, just an observation- yes- CM was done on a Mac (and with good reason- the graphical rendering capabilities surpass a PC); however, I would bet everything I own that more copies of CM have been shipped as PC versions of the game over the Mac versions. Failure to support or ignore such a large userbase is an exercise in stupidity, just because the Mac doesn't support EAX doesn't mean EVERYBODY should be without. Chances are, the EAX feature could be implemented with just a few lines of code...

------------------

"Childhood's over the moment you know you're going to die." -The Crow