Why I hate this game...

It's been a particularly bloody battle. My troops have spent the better part of 20 turns clearing 2 platoons of crack french troops from a cluster of heavy buildings. When it appears the coast is clear, I bring up my Company HQ, 120mm FO, heavy machine gun, and mortars to occupy the remaining heavy building.

Suddenly, from the top floor, pistol fire erupts as the last remaining french unit (a 2 man HQ) reappears -damn, I thought I got rid of them. To my horror, one of the FO team goes down. When the turn ends, my troops are exposed in a wheat field 100 meters short of the goal.

On the next phase, I quickly rush my two remaining full strength crack platoons with HQ into the building to clear out the pesky HQ and save my underpowered units.

When the action phase commences, everything seems to be going according to plan. The crack units get to the top of the stairs just as everyone else arrives in the building. A firefight ensues.

"haha" I laugh to myself, "this'll be short work"

Then it happens -the entire building erupts in the cataclysmic nuclear-type explosion we've all come to know and love (or hate). The culprit -1 POTATO MASHER THROWN BY MY OBVIOUSLY OVER-EXCITED BANG-HAPPY TROOPS!!!!!

The final body count -2 full platoons of crack stormtroopers, 1 platoon HQ, 1 120mm FO, 1 42Heavy machine gun, 1 88 mm mortar. In fact, the only troops left standing in the building are 2 members of the Company HQ.

oh, AND his HQ -which runs away into the woods.

the moral

PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THOSE LITTLE ** SIGNS IN THE BUILDING WINDOW

Guest KwazyDog

Guys, there is something else new I learnt yesterday that youd probably like to know after reading this thread smile.gif

The ALT-G command that labels troops as panicing, etc, also labels all buildings and their conditions (unless they are fine of course). Very useful for nasty city battles smile.gif

Actually, it doesn't, seeing as though I havent' even SEEN your army yet -let alone gotten into any serious combat with them. I assume they're all in that copse of trees eating frogs legs and drinking cheap wine. You, my friend, are spending entirely too much time on this forum reading newbie advice -such as "hide your entire army behind a hill, wait 30 turns, then go home"

not that I should've expected any more from a frenchman. Come out and fight dammit!!!!!

------------------

"Well then private, it must be sh*t. Good thing we didn't step in it."