Attacking question.

I consider myself an average player but find myself feeling more comfortable defending. The only way I can get better attacking is to *attack*! So I start off into the valley as the Americans and take my time pushing through obstacles/bunkers but I notice that my company is taking high losses. Each platoon is down to about half strength with my support weapons platoon having only 2 thirty cal MGs left. I end up winning, but was the cost to high? If I had to defend tomorrow the ground I took today, would I have stopped my attack sooner?

Here's my point: How will the full game decide on how many replacements I get after a battle is completed. I mean, I could have gone hog wild and pushed harder and got more men killed being super aggressive but would it have gained anything? If I take heavy losses, will my company be pulled off the front for R&R for a while?

I tried to word this so I wouldn't get people saying, "I won the valley scenario with only 20 casualties..." I know people can attack better than me and I know people have terrific games where everything goes their way. Please keep those posts to a different thread.

Thirdly, is there anywhere I can go to learn some real life attack principles that I can apply to CM? I'm always looking for some good reading material to help me become a stronger player.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

As an average player trying to get better myself.....

I've found so often that playing cautiously

usually results in more casulties as the attacking player.I'm trying to learn(and perfect)how to concentrate my forces so

as to make a fast,agressive,and decisive

attack early in the game.(try against AI)

Reading the tactics of the "Handbook on

German Forces" I feel,has helped me alot.

but,other than that...just the usual stuff:

don't penny-packet,keep a reserve,don't get

rattled by losses,look at the game from your opponents perspective more than your own,etc...

Guest grunto

--Thirdly, is there anywhere I can go to learn some real life attack principles that I can apply to CM? I'm always looking for some good reading material to help me become a stronger player.--

Overwatch.... have some kind of substantial firepower ready to supress any enemy fire which comes upon your movement element. If possible, set MGs up where they'll be most effective -- generally, the less you move them the better. Use regular squads for movement elements, and heavier weapons as the overwatch (fire) elements. Try to keep your forces together yet not too close that artillery murders them... try to get "local isolation" on enemy positions... 3 or more of your units on 1 of his or whatever... avoid 3 or more of of his on 1 of yours...

Get your tanks in on the side... don't try taking the german armor on head-to-head... go for the side shots... you have to manuever to get these...

crawl even when you're tempted to run... never run across the open with infantry... no matter how tempting... you'll just feel bad when they get torn up and you realize you gave them the orders to begin with <g>...

ok... so we have:

1) local isolation to get firepower mismatches.

2) bounding overwatch (move and fire elements)

3) stationary MGs if possible

4) avoid head-to-head armor on armor if you're american... try to get around the side...

5) oh and... avoid piecemeal attacks...

remember, "whoever gets there the firstest with the mostest."

FWIW

Andy

Guest grunto

oh... and... think "outside the box." Be fluid with the situation... none of the rules are hard and fast... if something presents itself to you and the solution is "unconventional," forget the convention if you've got a situation which lends itself to an unorthodox idea which might just work...

Salute

Andy

Guest Rommel21

Hey

I consider myself an average player too. I like defending over attacking.

The way I deal with attack is, mass your units. I mass tanks saperated from infantry(Rommel's "Infantry attacks"). That's how it has to be. And big reserves, reserves get you out of trouble and perform mirecles(Rommel's "Infantry attacks"). When you start a scenerio, your forces are mostly farther from the enemy. What you need to do is find a a good, hidden rally point for infantry and tanks. For infantry: a forest or a ditch or a small depression (from the site of the enemy but very near). Then you let your troops rest (well at least I do) for 2 turns. That way they don't get tired to soon during an attack. Than attack with about 4 squads, or how ever many you have at your disposel. Pick good objectives to attack. Don't attack straight into a town, go around it and attack from the rear (courtesy Rommel's "infantry attacks). Also don't attack where your troops will be fired on from 2 sides, pick a good cover and cover fire form MG's.

Tanks I rally in the open, but I try to hide them out of view too. You don't want tanks going through forest or towns, keep them out of confined areas!!! Only open ground for tanks. I don't use tanks for inf. support, that slows them down, I use their speed to go deep into enemy lines and fast. AT teams are a real nigmare for tanks so I send in a decoy of some sort so I know if there are any AT teams where my tanks are heading.

Keep your reserves as long as possible, unless you are desperate and/or losing. And ofcourse arty, that always comes in usefull for smoke and diversions. Americans usually have plenty of it, so you can pound positions for ever. As for Germans you have to pick your arty targets carefully. I usually use smoke for germans only. So that I get my infantry in position for an attack. Or just use the smoke for a diversion, sometimes it works better than HE shells.

Hope that helps. If you need more help, get your hands on Erwin Rommel's "Infantry Attacks". Very good book and helps you plan strategies beeter.

1. Schwerpunkt. Concentrate your forces and hit one portion of the enemy line with massive force. When you break through his forces will have to move to reach new positions and that is ur chance to meet and defeat them on even terms.

2. SUPPRESS every enemy unit which can fire on your troops as they advance. I generally like to have 1 mortar or 1 HMG or 1 tank for every squad or HQ or MG which the enemy can bring to fire. This'll keep their heads down while your men advance.

3. Hit them hard, hit them fast and push on as quickly and deeply as you can.

4. Keep at LEAST 1/2 your force in reserve while learning how to attack. When ur initial attack force runs out of steam have them hold in position, move ur MGs, mortars and tanks up and then attack the enemy with ur reserve forces (using the tanks and MGs as cover).

Hit them hard, hit them fast and head straight for the objective. You'll overwhelm all but the best players easily this way.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

I like to use my HMGs/MMGs and on-board Mortars as suppressors. I use them to keep the enemy's heads down while I set up my platoons for a rushing attack.

Secondly, especially, in Valley of Trouble, I use the off-board artillery to weaken up the defenses. I'll even set up a target for, say 81mm bombardment, for just a portion of a turn in hopes of panicking or pinning an enemy machine gun post. 81mm is also good for knocking out wooden bunkers; it doesn't even require direct hits.

Once I pound the enemy locations a bit with artillery, I try and do a "bonzai" charge with a nearby platoon of infantry. Usually I'll get an enemy "elimination" with very few casualties of my own.

Also, you can try and time your advances with infantry platoons with artillery bombardments or HE shots from supporting tanks. Just make sure though that by the time your infantry charge gets near your target that it's near the end of the turn so you can call off the bombardment in your next order phase, otherwise you will cause friendly-fire casualties.

When using tanks, use them enmass. As Madmatt said in an earlier thread, a group of Allied tanks against a single or two German tanks is bound to take out the German tanks with some casualties, but one-on-one battles will most probably mean death for the Allied tank.

Also, again, as my motto. "When in doubt, shell" Use that arty, as it usually means the difference between life or death. I really haven't gotten perfect when using it to create smoke screens, but I think that'll come when I get to try out more scenarios in the full version.

Smoke can also help to shield your advance, although it can give the enemy a good indication as to where your attack may come from. But if there is a mg post causing you headaches, a few smoke shells on their position may block their view enough for you to get your troops to that rally point, or to start your assault.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ol' Blood & Guts:

Once I pound the enemy locations a bit with artillery, I try and do a "bonzai" charge<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OBG don't you meam the infamous bonsai charge thru the hedge biggrin.gif

charging at the enemy brandishing verry small

trees.usually works.

------------------

"you got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run........"

Alright, thanks guys!

A ton of good advise. I'll try what you have suggested and keep practicing the attack.

One thing I have noticed: Once you have the enemy on the retreat, persue with everything you have. It seems he can't stop running long enough to set up a good defense. Some of my infantry penetrations in "The Valley" have been very deep causing the German defense great concern. I love it.

Matt out.

Remember all the advice given to you have counters as well, many human players can tear apart what is generally sound.

Read the AAR's on Matt's site, Fionn is an excellent player and does a tremendous job explaining what he's thinking, his options, why he chose to do what he did, etc. There's a variety of articles there relating to cm that are good reading as well smile.gif