Firefly?

Yep. You're right. In all, about 600 Fireflies were produced.

Since the Challenger was not available for the Normanday landings, it was produced as a stop gap until the Challenger became available.

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

Guest Lord General MB

Soldiers,

Just another low grade sherman, but with a hi velocity gun! No match for a Pershing or Panther though....

------------------

Salute!

Lord General Mr. Bill

Supreme Commander

1st Army

I believe it was a 4 man tank with no bow gunner/radio operator. It would then be more of a overwatch vehicle or a wingman vehicle. That is, always on the platoon commanders right or left wing and moving with him.

Since the tank is really a reworked vehicle; its production would have been low but 600 does seem kind of rare.

Ive read the gun was offered to the US but it was turned down. This and the decision of not going full tilt to pershings was a big mistake.

The scarcity of this tank was due to small numbers of the 17pdr AT gun. AT units were given higher priority than the tank producers. The Americans wanted to put 17pdrs in some of their Shermans but the British said there was not enough. I've often wondered why we did'nt put 90mms in Shermans as a stop gap before the Pershings came out.

Does anyone know what weapon the Isrealis used in their "Super Shermans"?

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne:

The scarcity of this tank was due to small numbers of the 17pdr AT gun. AT units were given higher priority than the tank producers. The Americans wanted to put 17pdrs in some of their Shermans but the British said there was not enough. I've often wondered why we did'nt put 90mms in Shermans as a stop gap before the Pershings came out.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have heard it was the other way around. I read somewhere-or-other that the Brits offered the Americans Firefly conversion kits but the offer wasn't taken up. Instead they went with the 90mm.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr Brian:

Since the Challenger was not available for the Normanday landings, it was produced as a stop gap until the Challenger became available

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought both the Firefly and the Challengers were both stop gaps - to be used until the Centurion and perhaps, a better example would be the Comet, were available in numbers. The British army tried to shoehorn the 17-pounder into everything they had available - the Archer for example squeezed a 17-pounder into- a bloody ugly contraption that couldn't fire until the driver got his head out of the way of the recoil mechanism.

The Black Prince, which would have been a bit of a hand full in the CM universe, was an attempt to get a 17-pounder attached to a Churchill - the Centurion crueled that one.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Degrees of Frost:

The Black Prince, which would have been a bit of a hand full in the CM universe, was an attempt to get a 17-pounder attached to a Churchill - the Centurion crueled that one.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm wondering, if they had developed the "Black Prince" would the next development after that have been called a "Black Adder"? Just a thought..

Regards

Jim R.

Guest machineman

The Super Sherman was first upgraded with a version of the gun used on the Panther.

"After the war, modified Panther's 75mm KwK 42 L/70 gun was produced by French as 75mm DEFA and CN75-50 gun. It was used by them in a number of light tanks (eg. AMX 13) and armored cars (eg. EBR 75). Also, Israelis used the gun to upgrade their M50 Super Sherman."

Guest Germanboy

According to my favourite website on the matter of Commonwealth armour http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/8418/21agt-3.htm , in June 1945 there were 300 Fireflies in service, and 750 in depot. Even a mathematically challenged person like me sees that this is more than 600-650. Add in losses during the campaign, and the number must have been substantially higher.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-08-2000).]

The second upgrade to the Israeli Super-Sherman involved fitting a new turret with a shortened version of the French CH-105-F1 105mm gun (taken from the AMX 30)to M4A3s and a few M4A3E2. The new gun (D1504)fired mainly HEAT ammunition as did the gun in the AMX 30. The new Sherman was designated M51 HV and saw extensive service from 1960? to just prior to the invasion of the Lebannon.

This gun had a lower muzzle velocity than versions of the British 105mm L7 used in most other Western tanks (Centurion, Merkava I, M60, M1, Leopard 1?) which might explain how it was possible to fit one on a Sherman

[This message has been edited by Private Pike (edited 12-08-2000).]

must learn how to spell

[This message has been edited by Private Pike (edited 12-08-2000).]

The reason the 90mm gun never went into a Sherman is most probably that the turret wasn't large or strong enough to handle the bulk and recoil of the gun. This, along with "can't put any more armor on and still be mobile" is what maxed out the development of the PZIV. The tank's turret just couldn't hack a gun more potent than the 75mm/L48.

DjB

Since we are on the topic of British tanks, I was wondering how many Churchills were made. I'm particularly interested in the latter variety with the real heavy armor. Without a gun like the 17-pdr, the consensus on the board seems to be that Churchills are relatively non-leathal to German tanks. This is particularly true when they are up against Panthers and larger tanks.

Since the 1.1 beta I have found that the Churchill VIII is actually a great German tank killer as long as it has the hollow/C shells. The Churchill VIII is now more likely to use its hollow shells, just like other tanks are more likely to use tungsten/T shells. The VIII gets 1-9 rounds of this type of ammo, which has a penetration of 125mm. The average number of hollow shells seems to be 5. The 95mm gun has a blast of 58, which also makes it great against infantry. There are also bow and coaxial MGs. The only draw back is that the tank is slow, but it has a fast turret.

I recently played against the AI where it had panthers or tigers and I had Churchill VIIIs. I beat it both times with only losing one Churchill. I thought that maybe this was because of my superior tactics, but I decided to test the Churchill VIII head to head against Tigers and I got the following result. There are 10 tanks on each side and they are told to aim at the tank directly accross from them.

After 1 turn the results are:

500m

10 KO tiger 2 KO Churchill, 2 immobile

10 KO tiger 1 KO Churchill

10 KO tiger 0 KO Churchill

1000m

9 KO tiger 0 KO Churchill

6 KO tiger 1 Churchill immobile

8 KO tiger 2 gun damge Churchill

At 1000m the Churchills were less accrurate than the Tigers, but survived all the hits by the Tigers. In the tests I gave all the Churchills 5 hollow shells, probably gives them a slight advatage. Almost all the hollow shells were used up at 1000m, but at 500m the Churchill VIIIs were very accurate and only used up 2-3 hollow shells. I made all of the crews Vets since regulars in Chruchills didn't always use the hollow charges against the German tanks when I played the AI in a couple of games.

These results seem a historical. If the Churchill VIII was so effective against German tansk using the hollow shells, why not build more of them and make more hollow shells? No need to bother with developing that black prince mod. I would guess that the Chruchills were a liability when it came time to get them to the front, slow and heavy. Were they also more likely to break down since there weren't as many made as compared to the Sherman? I was also wondering if hollow/C shells fired from guns were as effective as they are portrayed in CM?

Theron

Guest machineman

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Beman:

The reason the 90mm gun never went into a Sherman is most probably that the turret wasn't large or strong enough to handle the bulk and recoil of the gun. This, along with "can't put any more armor on and still be mobile" is what maxed out the development of the PZIV. The tank's turret just couldn't hack a gun more potent than the 75mm/L48.

DjB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The M36 Jackson turret with the 90mm gun would drop right into the Sherman chassis, 187 of these M36B2 conversions were actually made.

I checked out Andreas's website and it seemed to answer part of my question. They only had 54 Churchill 5/8s in June of 1944. In latter dates they don't list the Chruchill 8s at all. I'm not sure if that's because there weren't any or if because the Chruchill 8 was redesignated to some letter combination. There are a lot of Chrchills listed that have letter combinations that aren't included in CM. I'm no expert so I don't know what these other Churchills are equiped with. At least part of my question is answered. It would be extreemely rare historically to see a platoon Churchill 8s in battle together when facing the British.

Theron

Theron, I too love the Churchill VIII. That monster is one of my favorite British tanks, and certainly my favorite Churchill. Sure, its lack of mobility is a serious pain in the butt, but I love its combination of thick armor, infantry lethality and anti-armor capability when it has those cartridges. My Churchill VIII was about the only thing that permitted me to eke out a draw in one of my last pbems when it took out both of my enemy's Panthers on first-shot kills.

machineman, I was referring only to the strength of the stock Sherman turret, not to any aspect of the chassis itself. The turret of the Jackson was probably special-built for the purpose of carrying the 90mm gun, right? The Sherman turret was only designed around the 75m gun; putting the 76 (and the 17 pdr) in the turret required a new turret with a big counterweight and, I imagine, all kinds of recoil gear changes. I really doubt the Sherman's turret could take the stress of the 90mm gun.

DjB

Guest machineman

I see what you were getting at. It would be probably impossible to retrofit existing Shermans while keeping the same turret. I still wonder why they did not just ship over a bunch of 90mm turrets and retro fit that way (probably a lot quicker than modifying), or better yet, had built a 90mm Super Sherman instead of a 76 mm version right from the beginning, sort of like what the Russians did with the T-34/85.

The apparent ease of creating 90mm Shermans this way makes the whole 'we just have to put up with the 75/76mm because we can't design a whole new tank' line of reasoning look a bit weak, doesn't it?