Demo problems

Downloaded Combat Mission demo on Netscape Navigator 4.7. (twice: second time trying to resolve problem)

When I try to play demo I dont get graphics. Only 3 color (black and green on white background). Black men on green pads.a few green lines. No details

Any suggestions on how to rectify this problem are apreciated.

Snark,

In order to give us a chance to help you must give information, as detailed as possible, about the software- and hardware environment in which you are running the demo.

An evergreen of an advice though; it is always a good idea to get the latest drivers for each and every one of the parts in your computer.

Cheers!

M.

Mattias

Good advice. Im rinning widdows 95 on a NEC233Mhz pentium.

23MB SDRAM

32 MB internal cache

256KB Pipeline burst cashe

4.3 gig HD 1/3 free

Highperformance graphics with 2 MB Video memory

I also dnloaded Direct X 7 from microsoft to see if that would fix my Combat mission demo problems

Hope this helps

Thanks

S

I can only make guesses here.

What color depth are you running at ? 256 colors will probably not be enough. Try "High Color (16-bit)", which you can set from Control Panels - Display - Settings tab. The minimum recommendations for video are a 4Mb video card, but the game *may* still run on your computer, but it will look very "choppy" as you move around so you will need a lot of patience to play.

If you have any further details on your computer hardware (i.e. - which video chip you have), we can possibly direct you to other solutions if the aforementioned doesn't solve your problem.

Play around with color and desktop resolution settings. There's a problem with the demo, in that it doesn't correctly alter these settings on startup or something. If your system is set to something that CM doesn't support, it'll refuse to run.

Also, your monitor might not be up to the tast of the combo of res/color/refresh rate.

DjB

Given the underpowered nature of your system, your problem sounds similar to the one I experienced over Christmas when I tried to play the game at my mother's house. What I did to solve the problem was decrease graphics acceleration.

Go into Control Panel - System - Performance - Graphics and reduce the graphics level from 'full' one step at a time and the game should work eventually.

The system I tried it on was similar to yours. CM ran but it was not pretty. Only having 2MB video on the compute really hurt. My suggestion to you is to upgrade your video card to anything above 2MB. You might even be able to get a 4/8/16MB card cheap or free of of somebody you know.

Jason

------------------

Board member since 9/99 with 340 posts. I'm a member, dammit!! biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by guachi (edited 02-03-2000).]

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

I've got an 8 MG Intel i740 AGP 3D Accelerator that I don't use anymore, since I upgraded to a 32 MB Diamond Viper V770 TNT2 Ultra.

What's the 32 MB Internal Cache memory you have? Haven't heard of that...

Guest Big Time Software

Sounds like a clear case of not having preserved the directory structure when unzipping the Beta Demo. Make sure all BMPs are in a BMP directory in the same directory as the EXE file. Do the same thing for WAVs in a WAV directory. That should fix your problem.

Steve