CM3...(i know, I already did a search.....)

Guest dirkd1976

Guest dirkd1976

I already did a search on this subject and here is what I found:

CM2 is going to be the eastern front (woo hoo!!)

CM3 most likely going to be Italy and/or Africa. There was alot of support for the PTO, but several replys clearly stated no Pacific theater.

My question is: How much truth is there in this? I saw no official posts from BTS on the subject (unless I missed one). So is it all speculation, or does anyone have some concrete evidence on the future of CM? Replys are very welcome.

------------------

Never mistake motion for action - Ernest Hemingway

Does that mean in CM3 if your playing as the Allies and your against the AI as Italians, that the AI will surrender at the first sight of one of your units. Being Greek I'm looking to kick some Italian butt. Hopefully the Greek army will be represented. I can't wait to show my Italian fiance when I decimate the Italian forces.

I am seriously pro Italy. Much more interest there than in the desert. I know that I'm going to get killed for this, but the desert always struck me as a line 'em up and plink away at 4000m tank duel. Not very interesting for a game at the level of CM.

The Italians suffered from inflated fascist ego's "Dreams of being the new Roman Empire" they (Mussolini) got caught up with Hitler's dreams but couldn't deliver. They had no fuel, no trucks, old outranged artillery, tanks that would explode 100% of the time, shoddy uniforms. Let alone the fact that they had at least three different calibres of rifle ammo to supply. They did not lack bravery, in fact with the crap they had to fight with it is amazing they could even launch an attack. Here are some tragic figures from the Greek campaign: Italian dead 39,000, Wounded 115,000. Greek dead 13,800, Wounded 42,000. The Greeks are tough bastards. They turned those Italians into souvlaki and served them up on a pita smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slappy:

I know that I'm going to get killed for this, but the desert always struck me as a line 'em up and plink away at 4000m tank duel. Not very interesting for a game at the level of CM. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you implying that anyone on this forum would take undue umbrage with your opinion?!?! wink.gifwink.gif

I was under the same impression until I actually got stuck in a REAL (Suadi) desert. There are all sorts of contours, hillocks, wadis, etc. It's definitely not a billiard table (like some games make it out to be). CM's map contours will be very welcome! Ranges are extended, yes, but most tank guns of the period wouldn't be accurate at all past 2000m or so (shorter barrels, lighter rounds).

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IntelWeenie:

Are you implying that anyone on this forum would take undue umbrage with your opinion?!?! wink.gifwink.gif

I was under the same impression until I actually got stuck in a REAL (Suadi) desert. There are all sorts of contours, hillocks, wadis, etc. It's definitely not a billiard table (like some games make it out to be). CM's map contours will be very welcome! Ranges are extended, yes, but most tank guns of the period wouldn't be accurate at all past 2000m or so (shorter barrels, lighter rounds).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been to Egypt and desert sand dune are huge. There would be a lot of close action. Those dunes were 10 to 15 meters high. You couldn't see your opponent till you were right on top of him.

Never been to the Western Desert but my impression from books on the North African campaign is that the campaigns didn't just happen in sand dunes. You've got some serious and bloody assaults on well-fortified garrisons (Tobruk), fighting along the escarpment that runs along the coast road, all-out slugfests for possession of mountain passes (Kasserine Pass), and a lot of varied terrain in Tunisia. So I think there will be plenty of gist for interesting CM scenarios in North Africa!

I too am waiting for CM3.

I use to have a game called Tobruk by AH.

It was a battle of the British out flanking the Germans (if they let them).

I even saw a game using minitures were the Axis advanced on a Allied strong hole and had a 6 pounder dug in with smokless AT shells and gave the Axis a bloody nose (sort of reminds me of the movie "Desert Rats").

Dirkd, you must have missed BTS's posts about future CMs.

IF there is a CM3, (and why shouldn't there be considering the success of CM1) it will be the Mediterranean. BTS's plans seem to be quite ambitious for this theater as are their plans for CM2. It looks like they will try to include all theaters the Mediterranean area - Balkans, Italy, and North Africa.

Why all of them at once? I don't know. Perhaps it is a way to take three lesser theaters and include them in a game sure to draw in a fan of any of the theaters.

Jason