Close call...WARNING!

About a week ago I received an email from the customer service address from my ISP warning me about some new viruses. It said to not open any email attachments with the following names:

dwarf4you.exe

joke.exe

midgets.scr

sexy virgin.scr

And any emails from 'hahaha'.

Well I just received an email tonight from:

'hahaha' with the attachment 'sexy virgin.scr'.

As it was downloading and I saw the attachment, and I'm like "WHOAH! isn't that one of those viruses?" I checked that WARNING message and sure enough it was.

So I promptly deleted that SOB!

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 12-09-2000).]

I never open attachment from senders I do not know.

Er, except when the subject line starts with CM, or PBEM. biggrin.gif

------------------

I prefer an enemy who's willing to die for his country. That way both him and me have the same aim in mind.

Maximus,

Was it you I gave all that computer advice to the other day?

ha ha, yesterday my computer was out of commission due to a virus my Windows-based virus checker didn't see: Chance.R, which activates only on John Lennon's assassination anniversary.

At 00:07 today, my computer went back to normal, I ran the DOS version of F-Prot, and disinfected my machine. The Windows version of F-Prot didn't see the virus...

So people be careful.

Now I have to check every single diskette I own because of this blasted DOS virus that must be at least three or four years old...

frown.gif

P.C alwas get viruses. tongue.gif Get a Mac and all problems will be solved!

------------------

Game master of Robs CMC wink.gif

Join or get more info on Rob's CMC today Email me at RobsCMC@hotmail.com

Rob

--------------------------

For more info on Rob's CMC go to Robs CMC HQHome of Robs CMC

Members of my CMC should join my CMC chat bord. Robs CMC Board

BHQS board

[This message has been edited by Rob/1 (edited 12-10-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rob/1:

P.C alwas get viruses. tongue.gif Get a Mac and all problems will be solved!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh? What? So a Mac is virus immune? I don't think so! Our local school system uses Macs, only because they struck a deal with Apple back in 1980 or something, and believe me, they are known to get system wide virus attacks.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juju:

I never open attachment from senders I do not know.

Er, except when the subject line starts with CM, or PBEM. biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh I totally agree, I even usually automatically delete all of the junk mail that I get. Hell I'm even skeptical of some of the attachments I get from my cousins. I've been getting these "Some word(TwistedHumor.com)" attachments from my cousins lately. What is that? They're not even proper attachments.

LOL!

------------------

Years have passed and I keep thinking what a fool I've been;

I look back into the past and think of way back then;

I know that I lost everything I thought I that could win;

I guess I should have listened to my friends

All the burning bridges that have fallen after me;

All the lonely feelings and the burning memories;

Everyone I left behind each time I closed the door;

Burning bridges lost forever more

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Huh? What? So a Mac is virus immune? I don't think so! Our local school system uses Macs, only because they struck a deal with Apple back in 1980 or something, and believe me, they are known to get system wide virus attacks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did I say they were...no! eek.gif They just have vary few.

[This message has been edited by Rob/1 (edited 12-10-2000).]

No computer platform is immune to an attack. I do not open any mail from people I do not know. Reading junk mail is not only time consuming it can be deadly if you download any files it may contain. I delete all unknown sender's email before I even read my mail.

It is wise to treat all strangers as potential foes till they have proven to be friendly.

Get yourself a good anti-virus program such as McAfee or Norton and update your virus listings at least once a week and run them regularly. Mine is always running in the background. The newer Norton versions now require a yearly fee to use their updates but $50 a year is worth the protection and peace of mind in my opinion.

Whichever anti-virus program you prefer, get it, update it at least weekly, and then use it! 'Nuff said. Carry on!

~Skott~

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Huh? What? So a Mac is virus immune? I don't think so! Our local school system uses Macs, only because they struck a deal with Apple back in 1980 or something, and believe me, they are known to get system wide virus attacks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry.......

I MUST speak up

I have been a MAC system admin for over 5 years. In that time I have managed 100's of Mac's, AND yes there are virii that infect Mac's, but they are VERY few and far between, no Mac can open or run a .exe file, so right there ALL virii that are transimitted by these PC executable attachments or files will not and cannot infect a Mac.

The worst virus problem most mac users face is the dreaded MS Word Macro virus that is transmitted by an infect Word .doc, which then insidiously infects the Word App that then infects ALL subsquent Word .docs that the uer generates, BUT it is not really destructive, only a big nuisance when attempting to save files.

Other than that one I have only ever had to deal with two other significant Mac virus outbreaks on a institution wide level, one was the AutoStart Worm, which easily infects macs that have quick time and the Quicktime "Auto Play" check box is left checked. (Everyone one who has a mac who is reading this right now should go there quicktime control panel and unchecked the Enable Audio CD AutoPlay and Enable CD-ROM AutoPlay buttons in the Auto selectio of the Quicktime control panel). This one is EASY to prevent but harder to clean up.

There was one other bad Mac virus that I have dealt with that was something like " Nr virB" (?) I can't remember, but it was the only other one I can think of and it was not destructive.

Mac users represent a samll community, and we are largely not targeted by disgruntled ex-employees of the anti virus software makers or ex-employees of Microsoft. We represent less than 10% of all computer users, and within that group of Mac users there are problably only a handfull if individuals who actually know how to program and write virus code.

Lack of problems with Virii is one of the MAJOR benefits of running a Mac. Not once on this forum have you heard of a Mac user complaining of a virus attack on their mac.

AND we LAUGH at ALL virus files are transmitted by .exe files because we can't even open and run them never mind get our machines infected by some dumb new virus!

It is not an over statement or an unsubstantiated claim or broad generaliztion to say "there are fewer Mac virii than Pc Virii and the Mac virii are for the most part, far less dangerous and destructive then there PC counterparts"

hope that clears up ANY misunderstanding.

(If I was honest I can say I wish I had a PC as well, and knew as much about fixing and maintianing it as I do about Mac's so I could play OTHER cool games Like Steel Beasts and Panzer Elite and Age of Empires II which are ONLY available on the STINKING PC!!! frown.gif )

-tom w

P.S. Apple has ACTIVLEY targeted the educational Market for years, it was one of there only relatively successful marketing efforts. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 12-10-2000).]

Guest Rex_Bellator

Even more scarey is the cunning virus which my latest PBEM opponent has fiendishly planted in the turn attachment.

Once I had innocently opened it and ran the turn, I noticed that I suddenly had the tactical genius and incredible luck of a half dead brain damaged plankton.

When confronted with his diabolical plan he then had the nerve to say that he can't see any difference from normal wink.gif

------------------

"We're not here to take it - We're here to give it"

General Morshead's response to the popular newspaper headline "Tobruk Can Take It"