Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

another 'small touches make the difference' post

Let me do a count here of all of the other games I've played where I can scan the battlefield after/during a turn and suddenly think "Hey, that tank looks like it's bogged because it's sunk into the ground a little. Yup, sure enough, it's bogged, better pay attention to that..."

Hmmm. I'm coming up with the number *zero*.

Again, all I can say is "wow". "Wow" squared, even.

-dale

Guest smbutler

I'll tell you what I really like about this game: sometimes it scares the hell out of me.

When an arty round hits just feet from my visual p.o.v. and the earth shakes and things go blurry because of the flying dirt... The sounds also blow me away. Yesterday I was playing VoT and two rounds--one right after the other-- from two different arty spotters cut the air with that malignant roar, and then "BOOM -Ba- BOOM."

I was damn near paralyzed.......

Guest Big Time Software

We try smile.gif The fact is that we did not intend on doing a lot of these details. But when we were playing we kept saying to ourselves, "gee... it would be cool if the tank actually sunk into the ground. Hey, and that would be great visual information too!" Generally when something passes the "cool and usefull" test it only has to pass the "practical to do" test in order to find its way in.

Wait until you hear the sounds at 44kh instead of the Demo's 22kh smile.gif Oh, and there is nothing scarier than a heavy bombardment of Nebelwerfers! Even if you are the German player it is pretty tense, since these things aren't all that accurate smile.gif

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

We try smile.gif The fact is that we did not intend on doing a lot of these details. But when we were playing we kept saying to ourselves, "gee... it would be cool if the tank actually sunk into the ground. Hey, and that would be great visual information too!" Generally when something passes the "cool and usefull" test it only has to pass the "practical to do" test in order to find its way in.

Wait until you hear the sounds at 44kh instead of the Demo's 22kh smile.gif Oh, and there is nothing scarier than a heavy bombardment of Nebelwerfers! Even if you are the German player it is pretty tense, since these things aren't all that accurate smile.gif

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And so sayeth the mighty gods of BTS, Charles and Steve: "If thou wishes thine feature in our most magnificent creation, thou must pass THE three laws: it must be cool, useful, and above all else practical" biggrin.gif

Oh yeah in answer to the first post, also I have not seen a single game that has all the little details that CM has.

[This message has been edited by CEO (edited 05-19-2000).]

I am in the middle of a PBEM game and I had some guys in a building when 2 Stugs opened up on it. My comment to the other player was "the recap in the beginning didn't mention you had Nukes!!" Talk about scary. The house was demolished in what looked like the top of mushroom explosion.

------------------

"Tryin to be so so bad is bad enough, don't make me laugh by talkin tough" EC

Guest PeterDwyer

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fenris:

So Nebelwerfers are in? If so excellent, I was hoping to get the chance to use them.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read Fionn's Alpha AAR to see how they performed then. Not terribly accurate :)

Guest Michael emrys

Rocket artillery in WW II was strictly an area weapon. Just wait till we get to the Eastern Front and the Russians start lining up entire *divisions* of Katyushkas for a TOT! You won't want to be around for that. biggrin.gif

Michael