VOT SPOILER--- Bunker Usage?

Has anyone had ANY of the MG bunkers last more than five minutes? In every game of VoT I've played, those Sherman 105s just destroy them. Once I had a bunker that was out of initial LOS to the Shermans, and it lasted long enough to be arty-bitch-slapped out of existence.

Maybe you should resist the urge to place the bunkers in open view. Remember that when you have a great field of fire it also means the enemy can see you and shoot at you from many places.

Why not place the bunkers/pillboxes at the base of the hills ? They still will cover the valleys and the amis will have to mount search and destroy missions to overcome them since they ain't targetable from the american start positions.

Grtz S Bakker

------------------

Visit my CM site!

The bunker: http://bunker.panzershark.com

Another proud member of the Panzershark webring. :)

I had a wooden mg bunker last the entire game - caused 27 infantry casualties. I had it placed on the road junction leading into Plomville. In the same game my 75 pillbox took out all 6 tanks and caused 13 infantry casualties biggrin.gif I won an Axis Major Victory - 92 to 8. I only had 9 KIA wink.gif

Just thought I'd blow my trumpet.

------------------

krm - King of useless posts wink.gif

[This message has been edited by krm (edited 05-19-2000).]

RFLOL FUNNY biggrin.gif

What the hell are you doing krm wink.gif

SPOILER

I've had bunkers last the whole game and I've had them go down on the first turn.

The Americans have so much firepower in VoT if they have something spotted they can generally take it out pretty quickly. It's hard to get around that other than hiding your stuff.

But, to answer the original question, I've found it helps to place yr bunkers in wooded areas. Why, you ask?

Because the same effect that makes trees so deadly for infantry during arty shelling (air-bursts), tends to protect the weak top armor of bunkers (ie; if a 105 shell hits a tree, it's not going to come through the roof and hit you!).

In VoT I placed the 75mm pak40 bunker in the woods atop Hill 209 --- it weathered four seperate 105 bombardments without a dent. Matter of fact, of all the bunkers I lost, all where by direct fire. And to avoid this, as has already been pointed out, it's best if you pick an area with narrow approaches and/or fields of fire and plant a bunker there.

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>But, to answer the original question, I've found it helps to place yr bunkers in wooded areas. Why, you ask?

Because the same effect that makes trees so deadly for infantry during arty shelling (air-bursts), tends to protect the weak top armor of bunkers (ie; if a 105 shell hits a tree, it's not going to come through the roof and hit you!).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

100% correct. In the full version of the game you can set up Hürtgenwald-style battles and in there, in the deep woods where it's tough to bring up heavy ordnance or "penetrate" down with artillery, the wooden MG bunkers can be quite deadly to attacking infantry.

Charles

Guest Blacksilver

I got 3 of my bunkers through a game last night with the Amis at +25%. I sited them on reverse slopes, with mutually supporting fields of fire diagonal across the map. The Shermans had difficulty hitting them with direct fire; the arty spotters never found them. The AT bunker took out 5 of 8 tanks; schrecks and the Panther got the rest. The one I lost was to a close assault by an rifle infantry unit. Axis major victory.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>On May 8 Nazi Germany surrendered unconditionally. We were told this momentious news . . . "So what" was typical of the remarks I heard around me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

--Pfc. Eugene Sledge, K/3/5, Okinawa