Of Maps and Grease Pens...

For the future, Id like to see an option to print out tactical maps in color. Id take mine, put it in a sheet protector and attack it with a grease pen for my battle. I know we can use a screen capturing util now to get the job done (e.g. hypersnap) but how bout adding this down the road. Your thoughts?

TeAcH

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TeAcH:

For the future, Id like to see an option to print out tactical maps in color. Id take mine, put it in a sheet protector and attack it with a grease pen for my battle. I know we can use a screen capturing util now to get the job done (e.g. hypersnap) but how bout adding this down the road. Your thoughts?

TeAcH<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why don't you just hit print screen with the map zoomed out to the level you need, then Esc to windows and paste it into Photoshop, or equivalent, then print the thing out?

By the way, when I tried to "print screen" in the gold demo during

a battle it kept capturing a picture of my desktop and not the game

itself. Anyone know why that is and how to get it to take a pic of

the game screen and not the desktop?

I'm using a voodoo II card for 3D. And a diamond stealth 3D 2000

for 2D.

When I print screen, I get the game. I think the reason your card will not is because you are using a VooDoo 2, i.e. a seperate, 3d-only card. As a result, your 2d card still has the desktop in its memory frame buffer. Print screen just takes the frame buffer and turns it into a bitmap. Therefore, you get desktop, not screen. I suspect that's a hardware limitation. I don't think there's anything that BTS can do.

Sage

• 3 months later...

Unfortunately, just taking a screen shot of the map doesn't meet requirements of analyzing the terrain and planning for a tactical engagement. I think it would be a very cool feature of CM to be able to show/hide topographical contour lines of the terrain and be able to have a high-quality representation of the map sent to any output device, like a printer. Being able to see elevation and slope would be a big help in analyzing troop placement.

Just a feature suggestion for future revs of an awesome game.

This would be a cool feature, at least for me. I have tended to print out a Level 4 screen shot, taken from say one corner of the map. This is a compromise as it gives me some terrain info, as well as the general layout. I use it more to record my "plan" after I have inspected the actual map on the screen with different level views. Then I draw the sweeping arrows and assault areas etc. on the screen shot printout. I find the level 5 and higher views to be to large scale for my approach.

To have some sort of terrain map available to print out would be very useful. The detail could be a lot less as well, simple squares for buildings and so on. I'm not sure how it could be easily coded though. I suspect it could be generated from the data in the editor, at the same time the actual map is being generated. It's probably just a nice idea though. For me the screen shots are an okay workaround while we wait for CM2, CM3, CM4 etc.

OGSF