Voodoo 3&5 with CM- OT but Tech Supp broken

I am in the process of upgrading and would like to know whether the V3 problem with graphics degradation in cluttered and higher res games also occurs with Voodoo 5 boards as well--- or is this problem limited to the Voodoo3.

Thanks

Right the Voodoo5 Rave driver has a few bugs that need to be fixed before you can even play a good game of CM. I think in the next patch the Smoke and a few other bugs will be fixed. The glide drivers are really good and i have no problems playing games that support that API.

Ummm...are you talking about the Voodoo 5 for macintosh or for pc? I too am considering a Voodoo 5 for upgrade, mainly for CM. For the mac the Voodoo 5 is a "no brainer" for me in terms of compatibility for 3d games, but I still don't know exactly how this card looks and performs. I could go with the ATI readon card which performs rave without a hitch. (originally made for rave on mac) but the voodoo 5 has 4xfsaa, and opengl, glide compatibility as well.

(I realize this should be in the tech forum but since it is already in this forum I wanted to post.)

Can someone give a detailed report on CM's performance with a voodoo 5 on a mac? Maybe even compare it too other cards like the readon.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sorry, I know you asked for V5 on MAC. But my V5 for PC is outstanding with CM. Once you play with 4xFSAA in 1024x768, there is no going back. The only difficulty I have is in the 2D screens before. The mouse pointer has an issue in that it leaves a block of graphics from previous screen shot due to no redraw where the mouse pointer was positioned. Not a big deal. Everything works great in the 3D environment, all the special effects are perfect.

I'm talking about the Macintosh version of the Voodoo5, the raver driver has some bugs that need to fixed before even playing CM. I don't use my Voodoo5 for CM because its to buggy. The smoke doesn't look right in CM, you can't switch back to desktop and then back to CM because it screws up CM. When 3DFX released Voodoo5 PCI for Macintosh it was buggy and its had a number of patches. I only have problems with Rave but if your looking at just playing OpenGL, Glide games then Voodoo5 is just what you need. I was thinking if i ever had to do it again i'd buy a Radeon because i don't think the Voodoo5 was worth almost five hundred dollars for a buggy product.

I'm not sure that the issues you see posted about the Voodoo 3 on the Tech Support forum apply to the RAVE drivers on the Mac. All of the complaints there (to my knowledge) are from owners of the PC version of that card. This doesn't mean that the Mac version doesn't have problems, as Kestrl has pointed out.

baboon2 is a member of this forum and he's the developer at 3dfx responsible for the RAVE implementation on the Voodoo 4 & 5 series (and possibly the V3 series). Recent statments from him indicate that the Voodoo drivers look as good as the ATI drivers (excluding the effects of FSAA) in terms of compatibility with CM (this is the latest set that has yet to be released to my knowledge). He's stated that CM compatibility is important to him and he'll work hard to make it so if any problems are found.

I'm not sure how applicable his work is to the Voodoo 3 series. So issues with that chipset might be beyond his domain or focus. I would suggest that you email him and ask him to post his response on the forum for the benefit of others considering Voodoo 3 purchases, etc.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 10-22-2000).]