Skyscapes for CM, Would you like to have...

One of the things that annoys me a little with the present graphics of CM is the skyscapes, those dark overcast clouds and night clouds.

For my own pleasure, and since I have no talent at all, just a new paint program, I figured I could at least gray out the sky for overcast. I finished the summer overcast, and I had to admit, though there are no clouds, it looks better. I think the reason is because you don't see any overblown pixels in the sky.

I don't have the skill to put in nice cloud bottoms, but I like the overcast, one color look. For some reason, even with one shade of gray, it looks more realistic. I think this is only because of the pixelation, its the only way I can explain it.

To get an idea, turn fog on and notice the flat sky due to haze. Now imagine it a darker gray (not too dark) and you get the idea. However, you do get the background rolling hills, so it is different. I've looked at it snowing and raining, looks fine.

Until something better comes along, I figure I could make the graphic available for other folks like me who play in hi-res and hate those pixelated clouds. I think I'm going to do the same for night, make it flat and darker.

Is there anyone interested? If so, I could find someone to host them somewhere. In the mean time, I'll work on it hard, but it will take a little time. Its those background hills. I need to preserve them, so it does take some work to make sure they stay okay looking and that I blend them with the new sky. It took me a bit on the first one, and there are three for each type of sky. I'm getting better though.

If the interest is there, I'll beg someone to host them.

By the way, I believe other skyscapes are coming from other folks who are talented. You'll be able to pick and choose.

You bet cha. And why not. We even have the cows now (as tree bases, they still don't moo). smile.gif

Only thing missing is birds fluttering from the trees when the gunfire starts. Your proposal strikes me as something that would be a popular addition.

Gimme, gimme, gimme...

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno Weiss

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kump:

One of the things that annoys me a little with the present graphics of CM is the skyscapes, those dark overcast clouds and night clouds.

If the interest is there, I'll beg someone to host them.

You'll be able to pick and choose.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe I can help smile.gif

Check out this web site:

the BEST skies in the World come from Bryce 3D and Bryce 4. I own it and can play with it and I'm happy to host them....

try this site:

http://hilltopdesign.com/b4materials/b4skies/index.html

it is SLOW to load as it is bandwidth intensive (pretty pics of skies)

-tom w

P.S. Perhaps I should not volunteer because I would rather play CM than play around with Bryce 4 and make skies.

Tom,

They are nice skies. But as you know, they are in .bsk format, and I don't have Bryce. But it sounds like your volunteering...heh, heh, heh.

Actually, I want to play too, but I think I can get these simple one tone skies done pretty quick and they do increase my own pleasure in playing while I wait for hard working volunteers like you to bring us Byrce skies smile.gif

I'll do the simple ones, and like I said, folks can pick and choose. I'm going to have to buy another hard drive just to hold all my CM options. This game is great!

[This message has been edited by kump (edited 10-26-2000).]

Hint to get rid of pixelation

Do a Gaussian Blur on the skylines. Then sharpen it a bit after that. Unfortunately it blurs the horizon tree line a little, but who really looks at those closely.

I cleaned up Gunslinger's clear sky bmp and it looks a lot better by applying the above method.

Tried it with the overcast sky and it didn't work right.

------------------

"Rule#3: You must be a member of my Meta Campaign to take

part.(doh!)" - Rob/1

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kump:

Tom,

They are nice skies. But as you know, they are in .bsk format, and I don't have Bryce. But it sounds like your volunteering...heh, heh, heh.

Actually, I want to play too, but I think I can get these simple one tone skies done pretty quick and they do increase my own pleasure in playing while I wait for hard working volunteers like you to bring us Byrce skies smile.gif

I'll do the simple ones, and like I said, folks can pick and choose. I'm going to have to buy another hard drive just to hold all my CM options. This game is great!

[This message has been edited by kump (edited 10-26-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have Bryce and Photoshop and know and teach in both but I would RATHER play CM. smile.gif

Bryce and Photoshop can save their images in almost ANY format and saving out .bmps is a piece of cake.....

But I would rather fool around playing the game or debate the merits of long range German Zeiss gunnery optics in CM smile.gif he he he ...

I might have some EXTRA time to fool around with Bryce Skies over Christmas but by that time TCP/IP battles will take up my time and there might be a Sony Playstation 2 in the house, so I will have to get motivated to fiddle with Bryce Skies or it won't likely happen.

-tom w

I've been a wonderin' when all you modders were gonna start messing with the skyline!

Go for it fellas I for one would like to see the results. And hopefully my opinion counts even though I am becomming a recognized ModSlut.

Once I get the full version of this game and I find the time between killin' everything in sight I am gonna start contributing to this community. I don't know how I'll fair but there are alot of little things I can tackle. I have made pics in adobe that were pretty cool...so maybe I can do this.

Mord.

Maximus,

I'm trying to preserve the treeline. I've done several tricks, including the ones you suggest, and its the lo-res that still gets me.

I've now done two gray skies, one light and one dark (for when its raining/snowing). Believe me, the solid looks much better. Especially if you are playing the subdued. Plus you keep the landscape as it was. I have two night types to now do.

In case you are wondering, I'm doing two sets because I like the lighting of the sky to change if its actually raining or snowing and when it is not. It further variety. I'm going to set up a batch file to set the conditions appropriately. Folks can use them or just select the shade they like the best.

Just waiting for someone dedicated to do some good hi-res backgrounds

Well, back to these bmp's...

I am loving this. We have two sub communities inside this BB I have noticed. One makes sure all the bullets kill right and the other makes sure it looks good while it's being done. Can't ask for a better form of symbiosis! smile.gif

Happily,

Mord

Mord,

Everyone can contribute. I have no talent with this stuff at all, but I look at whatever simple things I can do that I myself would like to see improved. Can't do the detailed models, but I can sure monkey with things that keep me from applying any artistic talent.

Looking forward to your contributions in the future, as I do all of them. Yea, I'm a CM mod slut too smile.gif

Update. I just finished a night sky. I darkened it considerably, one tone, and then put single pixels of different shades of white in the sky for stars. I was surprised, it actually looked pretty good. So the clear night skies are going to look like clear night skies. On the really dark blue side, but I need the black/gray for overcast nights.

That is three down and nine to go. Hmmm... if I stay up all night, maybe I can get these out early. I could always call in sick tomorrow frown.gif

Well, its almost five in the morning, but I'm done. I worked on all the skyscapes, fifteen in all, eighteen to choose from.

The night sky with stars looks good. The overcast of course is quite different. And I toned down the clear day and dusk, though still plenty blue, just not so bright.

This has been done for all seasons. I'm sending Tom the zip file (1.6 Meg) for his ftp site.

I'm crazy, but I wanted these done for weekend play. Go figure.

I'm outa here...ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

[This message has been edited by kump (edited 10-27-2000).]