MG SchMG

Hello everyone,

Did anyone ever have the prob in which an armoured unit with flexible mg won't fire outside his main gun? I've had this a lot of times actually, tank is unbuttoned and it just doesnt fire. Seems to happen to the German Hetzers most of the times.

P.S. please guys, don't insult my intelligence and start about ammo =)

I think he's got something. Last night I put together a quick battle featuring 2 Hetzers against a bunch of infantry. While playing the first couple of turns, I gave the Hetzers specific fire orders every turn with main gun=NO, and neither buttoned nor unbuttoned would either Hetzer fire its machine gun. I sent 3 save game files to BTS for review, so if there's something there we'll find out.

DjB

Guest Scott Clinton

Remote MGs were NOT nearly as effective as a BMG. They just allow firing while keeping your crew covered.

With a BMG you are sitting behind the MG and sighing down the barrel and (more or less) firing the MG as its designer intended.

With a remote mounted MG, you are sitting BELOW and to the side of the MG and operating the thing using a set of handles attached to the bulkhead to turn and "aim" the MG. All the while sighing through a periscope.

I have not used the remote mount MGs in CM yet. But, IMO, sighting and effectiveness (especially the effectiveness) should be severely hampered for remote MGs.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Clinton:

With a BMG you are sitting behind the MG and sighing down the barrel and (more or less) firing the MG as its designer intended.

With a remote mounted MG, you are sitting BELOW and to the side of the MG and operating the thing using a set of handles attached to the bulkhead to turn and "aim" the MG. All the while sighing through a periscope.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The remote MG's sighting system is less intuitive (maybe why it never really caught on), but I think the sighting range should be similar since both systems required looking through a periscope. The 50m that I experienced just seems way too short.

Guest Big Time Software

Doug, when Charles gets back from some R&R he is going to look at what you sent over. However, note that the remote MGs are pretty ineffective. First of all, they only have a very limited number of rounds available to them. Usually one belt or two (i.e. 50-100 rounds), either lose or in a drum. A crew member had to get out and reload the weapon. We don't simulate the latter, but instead just further reduce the effectiveness of the MG. And like Scott said, it isn't as easy to control as it a BMG, so therefore shouldn't be as accurate and deadly.

In conclusion, the remote MGs are only for vehicle self defense. So don't expect wonders from them wink.gif

Steve