Why no Chemical Warfare in WWII

I read that the Axis decided not to resort to chemical warfare because of their huge reliance on horses for their mobility. A counterattack could have wiped out their animals and left them stranded. I think this was from Keegan.

Valid argument especially in the early years???

Warning!!! Extremely unpleasant topic!

Lurker, here is what UNIT 731 says on pages 41-42 about Japanese human testing of a gas gangrene bomb at the Anta Proving Ground, located five hours away by truck from Pingfan, Unit 731's main facility. The source is then chief of Unit 731's Education Division, Lt. Col. Toshihide Nishi.

"...an experiment in which I participated was performed in infecting ten Chinese war prisoners with gas gangrene.[Gas gangrene is a wound infection caused by the anaerobic bacteria clostridia.] The object of the experiment was to ascertain whether it was possible to infect people with gas gangrene at a temperature of 20 deg C below zero.

This experiment was performed in the following way: ten Chinese war prisoners were tied to stakes at a distance of 10 to 20 metres from a shrapnel bomb that was charged with gas gangrene.

To prevent the men from being killed outright, their heads and backs were protected with special metal shields and thick quilted blankets but their legs and buttocks were left unprotected. The bomb was exploded by means of an electric switch and the shrapnel, bearing gas gangrene germs, scattered all over the spot where the experimentees were bound. All the experimentees were wounded in the legs or buttocks, and seven days later they died in great torment."

Naturally such a weapon would've had only enough explosive to burst the bomb casing. Otherwise, a typical explosion would have instantly sterilized the gas gangrene at detonation.

Am almost ill now, so will close.

Regards,

John Kettler

Guest Pillar

Just thought I'd throw something a little OT in...but, north america is completely defenceless against biological and chemical terrorism. Some high rankers and political officials are sincerely worried... However, there really isn't much we can do except try to contain the borders.

Scary thoughts...

Ethan,

"Explaining Hitler" by Rosenbaum is a must for anyone interested in the subject. There are revelations and interviews galore. It is a review of all major scholarly works on Hitler, and is the most recent. The cover has Hitler's baby picture. Pretty insane. I recomend it highly, but have a dictionary handy. Even book reviewers were stumped on some of the dialouge.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Jenkins:

"Explaining Hitler" by Rosenbaum is a must for anyone interested in the subject. There are revelations and interviews galore. It is a review of all major scholarly works on Hitler, and is the most recent. The cover has Hitler's baby picture. Pretty insane. I recomend it highly, but have a dictionary handy. Even book reviewers were stumped on some of the dialouge.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to confess that I'm not a big fan of meta-history, so I haven't read Rosenbaum, even despite the favorable reviews from some v. credible reviewers. Is this the source of the hysterical blindness hypothesis? If so, I'll check it out from the pub. lib.

Thanks.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

Ol' Winston had made it quite clear that all major german towns would be gassed within a short period of any use of gas or other chemical warfare by the germans. Interesting note that the british almost used it anyways, but an air marshal persuaded winston not to do it.

The german generals in fact wanted to use gas desperately in 1943 but hitler wouldn't let them. Remember that he was gassed (though lightly) in WWI with mustard gas. Germany did have Gas units, but also the effecctiveness of the gas was deemed inneffective because at first the gas would have hurt the germans because of their rapid advance and later they really didn't have time to setup adequete attacks because of the fluid nature of the front.

Ironic little point, Chlorine gas was first created by a German Jew who wanted to proove he was as much german as any german, his wife eventually killed herself (she was the first german woman to hold a Ph.d in chemistry) over the fact that he was widely wanting it used. In the end he died in the early 1930's but not before creating the gas Zikon-B, which was the gas used to kill so many jewish people during WWII.

Guest your_mamma

hey demon,

the reason they didnt use gases and **** waz cause of yo mamma.she was usin the gas chambers as dildo's!!!!

1more thing deamon

your mamma

I am currently reading a book about the Cobra breakout in Normandy, which states that in July the Allies were fully expecting the Germans to use poison gas. In fact, the number of false gas attack alarms grew to such a ridiculous level that a special order was issued that made it a court marshal offense. Also, you may notice American OOBs references to Chemical Mortar Battalions. These battalions fired convential WP rounds, but they were also intended to be used for gas if necessary. Also note each G.I carried into battle during D-Day a gas mask.