Sniper Problems?

I played a US attack game last night. At one point in the battle I had 2 snipers 3 to 5 feet away from a German Arty spotter. I was able to draw an unobstructed LOS to him. I gave the "Fire" command to both targeting the Germ spotter. I could not get ether sniper to fire on him. I did see them snipe at open German tanks, causing them to button up. But I could not get them to engage that darn spotter.

------------------

Semper Fi.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarhead:

I played a US attack game last night. At one point in the battle I had 2 snipers 3 to 5 feet away from a German Arty spotter. I was able to draw an unobstructed LOS to him. I gave the "Fire" command to both targeting the Germ spotter. I could not get ether sniper to fire on him. I did see them snipe at open German tanks, causing them to button up. But I could not get them to engage that darn spotter.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, that is the same sort of problem I had.

Veteran Sniper, no fatigue, no suppression, and he refused to fire at anything I targeted. Thinking that might be the probelm, I let him pick his own targets. He just sat there and ate his C-rations while battle raged on around him.

In the end, CPL Upham put him out of his misery.

Sniper behavior in the Public_Beta patch might need to be looked at .

[This message has been edited by Blackhorse (edited 12-09-2000).]

I do not believe this a beta patch problem, as sharpshooters previously have refused to engage at close range (less than 100m?). IIRC, the previous explanation was that their AI tells them not to engage if their chance of being spotted by the target is high. Thus, they will sit next to one target (because they will be seen by it if they engage) and shoot at a more distant one (because they won't be seen by it).

I learned this aroud v1.03 when I sent a sharpshooter over to kill an observer. I think I suffered a CC flashback or something & thought he would be like Bruce Lee in hand-to-hand combat. Instead, they just sat there and stared at each other. I finally moved him a 150m away, and he shot the observer dead.

------------------

"Late evening turned to early morning as you sat with fists tightly gripped and thumb poised, anxiously awaiting the next cartridge of goodness. The hardcore gamer was born from nights such as these. Show your 'Roots.'" - The description of the Atari 2600 shirt on game-skins.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Supertanker:

I do not believe this a beta patch problem, as sharpshooters previously have refused to engage at close range (less than 100m?). ...I finally moved him a 150m away, and he shot the observer dead.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh, Thanks for that info. It makes it somewhat difficult to use snipers then in scenarios where visibility is less than 100 meters, like the ASL Cheneux scenario where I had experienced the problem.

I think I suffered a CC flashback or something & thought he would be like Bruce Lee in hand-to-hand combat. Instead, they just sat there and stared at each other. I finally moved him a 150m away, and he shot the observer dead.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, thinking about this a bit more, why DO sniper not work at hand to hand combat now? I hope BTS fixes this by CM2, since snipers were trained in hand to hand combat.

Besides, some Soviet snipers were female, and you don't want to be the unlucky German squad to stumble into the same house as one of those big Russian-lady snipers! wink.gif

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Definity no issues with the *sharpshooters* not firing. Recently lost a TC to one, and in a another game I had going on all three of my guys emptied their rifles over the span of the game.

As BTS has pointed out ad naseum. These are not snipers or sniper teams. They're guys who can shoot good with a rifle.

...or something & thought he would be like Bruce Lee in hand-to-hand combat. Instead, they just sat there and stared at each other. I finally moved him a 150m away, and he shot the observer dead.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFL! biggrin.gif

Hilarious, Supe, hilarious *sniff*.

------------------

I prefer an enemy who's willing to die for his country. That way both him and me have the same aim in mind.

As noted, sharpshooters are unwilling to target enemies close by. They do defend themselves at that range though, but not very well.

I've also had a sharpshooter entering a small building, only to find an arty spotter there. For two turns they were just sitting there, ignoring each other. Then some of my infantry squads came within LOS, and they took care of the spotter.

Cheers

Olle

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ciks:

But why sharpies can carry only so much ammo (10-12 bullets)? Do they have a special VHSA (Very Heavy Sharpshoter Ammo)?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not shells you're counting but "groups of effective fire" or "bursts", depending on which terminology you're comfortable with.

-dale

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dalem:

It's not shells you're counting but "groups of effective fire" or "bursts", depending on which terminology you're comfortable with.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe that each ammo point counts as 5 (?) rounds. I have suffered two casualties in an infantry squad from just one sniper shot.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska