Morning....I moved closer to the sand bags, using my binoculars I panned the horizon looking for the enemy. Sgt Rock and Sgt Fury had their men in a defensive position waiting for the enemy. Instead they saw a very large dust cloud. UPS trucks were leaving their headquarters to deliver Combat Mission for the fans who had pre-ordered. Shame on those that waited to order. OK Ok so I am showing my age a little bit. I used to read those guys when I was younger in the early 60’s. I still love those comics. Just killing time til CM ships.

sniperscope

Funny you should mention that SS, I was just thinking about Sgt. Rock, Sgt. Fury, Melle. Marie, Johnny Cloud, Gunner & Sarge, The Haunted Tank, Our Army At War, et al. cool.gif

Of course, I was thinking about it in terms of today being my 50th birthday and how I wish my Mother hadn't thrown them away when I went to college. confused.giffrown.gif

Now I am off to very hedonistically celebrate. biggrin.gif

Happy BDAY you old fart. Ill be 40 (I only act 14)in a few weeks (hopefully wasted and playing CM at that date) so don't feel bad.

I was jogging and saw a yard sale that had most of those titles you mentioned. Also old playboys and origional GI Joes (sans Kung Foo grip) and a long ranger and tonto in the boxes!. As I didnt have my wallet, the jog turned into an all out sprint to get home, get money and get back there. Well when I got back, all that was left was a naked GIJoe. Someone had bought up everything for 20 bucks cause it had started raining. Those senior citizens had no clue.

Lewis

Happy Birthday ARCHANGEL, I'm 49. Dam I miss those days. Playing board games. I remember when I went to my first con. of Orgins in Staten Island. Then the follwing year in Balt. where I first saw Squad Leader. I became hooked for life. The street fighting is what I love the most. I keep reviewing the CM avi. Can't wait for May and the sounds of incoming. This chat area is going to have a melt down from posts.

sniperscope

Was Johnny Cloud the American Indian P-51 pilot? I haven’t thought of that comic in, what, decades. I wonder if kids in other countries had their own Sgt. Rock comic books?

Guest gyrene251

Hey, remember the comic book "Enemy Ace" about a German WW1 pilot? And what was the one about the PT Boat captain...title alludes me? The titles mentioned above brought back some memories! :)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted:

Was Johnny Cloud the American Indian P-51 pilot? I haven’t thought of that comic in, what, decades. I wonder if kids in other countries had their own Sgt. Rock comic books?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Capt. Johnny Cloud was the P-51 jock.

If memory serves (and it usually does despite the old fart comment smile.gif ), Sgt Rock, Gunner & Sarge, Our Army at War were earlier than the others...obviously, I was born in 1950 and I remember reading these when I was still pretty young, like five or six...I seem to recall Sgt Fury being when I was around ten or so,(1960 for those of you who are math challanged wink.gif ) But it may have been a little earlier. I also recall a real burst of war comics in the early sixties, but by about 1963 I had discovered other things worth my interest. wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

I haven't looked on Ebay because I don't want to know how much money was thrown away when these were all disposed of. I kept them beautifully stacked and clean, etc., even after I had lost interest in reading and collecting them.

For baseball cards, I had Topps from about 1954 thru the year Yaz was a rookie. (sigh!)

Thanks to all of you for your kind wishes...

Now, back to being a bad boy for the day... cool.gif

Cheers...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Username:

Happy BDAY you old fart. Ill be 40 (I only act 14)in a few weeks (hopefully wasted and playing CM at that date) so don't feel bad.

I was jogging and saw a yard sale that had most of those titles you mentioned. Also old playboys and origional GI Joes (sans Kung Foo grip) and a long ranger and tonto in the boxes!. As I didnt have my wallet, the jog turned into an all out sprint to get home, get money and get back there. Well when I got back, all that was left was a naked GIJoe. Someone had bought up everything for 20 bucks cause it had started raining. Those senior citizens had no clue.

Lewis<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lewis,

Actually turning fifty is easy. I began being a crumedgeon when I was about 38, now at fifty, I can offically become one. smile.gif

Luckily I look younger than that and I am still in pretty serious shape. The thing is, as you have already discovered for yourself, I don't feel fifty, but I do feel somewhat liberated...and I will sell my company later this year and retire...so I have nothing to bitch about... biggrin.gif

Come to think of it tho, the serious flatulance began at 49. biggrin.gif

>Come to think of it tho, the serious >flatulance began at 49.

Is there any kind of flatulence that ISN'T serious..? wink.gif (Although I guess that the kind of flatulence that comes out of elderly women and sounds like a whistle would be something other than serious...).

Ooops..I'm off topic! Ummm...is flatulence modelled in CM and at what distance will it alert enemy infantry that they're approaching an ambush? There! That should do it.

-Shriker

Shirker - have you ever wondered why the buildings in the beta demo suddenly become reduced to rubble without apparent reason? Tracers and gas... dangerous mix I say...

[This message has been edited by Moon (edited 04-27-2000).]