CM2 & Russian Squads

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks for the details John. Fugate and Glanz (IIRC) both looked at this battle being longer than the few days of the high water mark. 'Been a while since I have read up on this battle, but it was indeed the first "large scale defeat" the Germans suffered on the Eastern Front. Reading through the German's perspective at the time is rather interesting. They simply didn't know how to deal with the situation effectively in the big picture.

It is also interesting to see how much respect the German commanders had for the ability of the Red Army at the time. I recall some quotes that basically supported a statement like this, "their attacks were not without heart and a degree of cunning, but rather uncoordinated and easily broken up once sufficeint force had been brought to bear on them. God help us if they ever figure out how to translate their rather sound operational planning into solid tactical results". At least this is my personal take on what I recall from my readings. In other words, the Red Army had some great higher level thinkers, and some really good low level fighting abilities, but the lack of decent control between the two was their biggest problem in the summer of '41. Obviously, this was HIGHLY conditional throughout the war, but especially in 1941/42 timeframe. But the Red Army is rarely given even this much credit by German/Western military studies.

Steve

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by killmore:

Purges have eliminated all mid-level professional officers...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What....still? That's one hell of a purge! smile.gif

Regards

Jim R.

------------------

Steve to Combat Mission community:

"If it's not in Combat Mission it never happened in reality"... nah that's not what I meant

"If it's not in Combat Mission then the chances of it happening were miniscule"... hmmm, not quite

"If it's not in Combat Mission then we didn't have the resources to code it"... rats, we've employed more people now

"If it's not in Combat Mission, STIFF SH*T!"... yeh, that's what I meant to say :)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IntelWeenie:

The US did this very thing with the designation of the 106mm Recoilless Rifles right after WWII. (They were actually 105mm)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and the British army did too. The gun in the Comet was designated a 77mm when it is a de-rated 17-pounder (76mm).

It's very encouraging to see how knowledgable the people at BTS are regarding the Russian front. I look forward to playing the Soviets in CM2 smile.gif

To BTS: would razvedchiki be outside the scope of this game?

------------------