Canadian/British Uniforms

I have been watching many reinactments, uniform websites, and pictures, and have noticed that there is a variant of the British/Canadian uniform that is more green than brown. Is this just an early war version, with the late war uniform being brown? Or was this a Canadian variant?

Now that you mention it;

In a museum I've seen a British combat coverall (together with weapons) supplied to Norwegian partisans in WW2. It was clearly greyish green, and not very dark in colour. The material looked like woolen felt.

I don't know if this model was used by any regular troops though. Commandos perhaps?

Cheers

Olle

I am pretty sure he means the colour. I was watching the History channel, and saw a preview for a program about 5-6 Canadians receiving the Victoria Cross throughout WWI and WWII, and the troops at Dieppe were wearing a distinctly greenish brown uniform. Unfortunately, all of the reenactment shots at Normandy were at night.

Canadian battle dress does differ in color

from British battle dress. Canadian is much

more green than the British BD which is closer to a khaki/tan. Re-enactment units often allow either Brit or Canadian as long as the trousers and jacket are both the same shade, meaning you can't mix a British jacket with Canadian trousers. Post war Greek BD is also used as it is a reasonably close substitute. There are also several companies that now produce excellent quality reproductions of British 37' pattern BD.

TS9, could you post up either a colour picture you would have, and/or just a solid block of colour showing the exact colour of the Canadian, and British uniforms?

This is my first attempt at making a graphical mod for CM, and I figure that since Canadian mods are not presently in production that creating one might fill up some sort of demand, eh?

I'm afraid I don't have a picture that shows the Canadian color. I'm getting my info from pieces I have in my collection and the uniforms I use when re-enacting British Para's. My suggestion would be to check out a web site called King & Country (WWW.kingncountry.com) Go to the links page and there are links to a few Canadian Para units, On their equipment pages are pictures of a re-enactor wearing Canadian BD. While not the best quality photo it will give you an idea of the color. The Brit BD photos on King and Country's page will give you a good idea of the difference as his repro's are some of the best there are. Hope this helps.

An monthly English Military Modelling magazine, called 'Military Modelling' (surprised?) has been running since the early 70s.

This magazine is a very good source of information on WW2 uniforms and armour and is worth investing in if you're that way inclined.

It's published by Nexus Special Interests Ltd

Mace

I remember these type discussions from my Civ War reenacting days, and some debates I saw as a member of Sharkhunters. Remember now, uniforms of every military were made over a period of time, with various materials, variations in dye, variations in production methods, and once issued were subject to weathering effects which tended to cause fading, not to mention the color in any given photo one is looking at is also a result of film quality if not the camera itself, and the age of the picture. These variations also apply to a great extent with regard to museum examples one might find. It's rather difficult, if not impossible to find a singular picture at any point in time, which could serve as a definative standard of exacting color tones and hues.

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno Weiss

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 10-28-2000).]

According to 'The World War II Tommy' by Bradley and Ingram there was a greener shade

khaki battledress used by the Brits - it was US War Aid Clothing;

'Production began in January 1943...its issue was limited to Italy and the Meditarranean theatre. Battledress, Olive Drab, War Aid was of noticably better fabric and a greener shade than British production. The most noticable identifying feature is the fly front on the blouse but with exposed buttons to the unpleated pockets '

Ironically, despite trans-Atlantic cargo space being at a premium, many items of US web equipment were being manufactured in the UK at the same time!

• 2 months later...

Tiger - as you may have noticed, I too have tried a "leather coat".

They are called jerkins, actually. I like the texture of your jerkins a lot! It really looks like leather. And the colour is perfect.

If I may, though, the collar should still be the same colour as the Battledress - the jerkin had no collar, nor did it have pockets. Also, there were only four buttons on the front.

Excellent job, however! Nice sheen to the leather.

In real life, some troops apparently cut greatcoats apart and sewed sleeves and hoods to the jerkins, but this was very unofficial and probably not worn in action - too constricting! The jerkin was a favourite among infantry troops for the mobility it permitted.

Joe Private - thanks! My mods are VERY bright and not realistic in colour. I will need to think about doing "subdued" versions, I should think.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiger:

I recently tried a "leather coat/smock" mod for canadian infantry for Formerly Barbara (sp?) *shrug*

uniformexample2.jpg

~Tiger<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmmm....fixed the collar/button

problem but I don't think the

pockets are worth removing. Oh well smile.gif

uniformexample4.jpg

~Tiger

ps fixed the neck so it's flesh coloured. Forgot to add smart-ass remark about how this is the typical Canadian pose I see in my battles against 'em biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 01-16-2001).]

Where can I get the updated version, Tiger? For usage, I've added a 1 in front of the bmp numbers and use them for winter mods only.

------------------

My P-47 is a pretty good ship

And she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip

I was thinking 'bout my baby and letting her rip

Always got me through so far...