TO CHARLES OR STEVE - driver conflict. Anyone else with ATi-Mobile chip please read

Hey

I'm sorry to bring this up again... I was just hoping I could get some kind of response from BTS... its really starting to get on my nerves.

I have a Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop with the ATI mobile-p video.

When I start the demo, the first screen comes up and the mouse vanishes. Then when I move it it leaves a black box in the center of the screen and works as normal.

Whenever I click on menus, the area around the mouse doesn't change to the new menu, leaving an artifact on the screen that doesn't go away until I click again (at which point another artifact is left but the old one is cleared).

I can provide screenshots of this if you want

When I actually do enter the game, the mouse cursor dissappears. It is as if the game is refreshing over the mouse cursor rather than underneath it. Occassionally I'll get flashes of the cursor... enough so the game is playable, but it is EXTREMELY aggrevating..

I have tried 2 official and 2 seperate third-party drivers for the ati-mobile P (basically an ati-rage pro). While severity differs between the drivers, the overall problem remains the same.

I tried slowing down hardware accelleration... one notch (disabling hardware cursor) did nothing. two notches worked... but the game became unplayably slow and was forced into 640x480 resolution.

I'm PRAYING that there is a simpler solution to this... especially in the full version of the game.

Any input/suggestions that you have would be greatly appreciated...

and other Mobile-P users - have you run into similar problems?

thanks in advance

-EridanMan

Hey-

I just noticed something very interesting...

If I start a game in 1024x768 resolution and then set my laptops resolution down to 800x600, when I click on combat mission on the taskbar the cursor works perfectly. I now have 3 clones of combat mission running, one was started while I was 640x480 native, one 800x600 and the third 1024x768. I am now in 800x600 and the 640x480 and 1024x768 both work flawlessly. if I switch up to 1024x768, then the 640 and the 800 will both work, but 1024 won't anymore.

It seems that if CM changes the native resolution when I maximize it, everything works, when it just uses the native (windows) rez, the cursor goes haywire...

I don't know if this helps at all... It makes sense to me though... any idea if this will keep happening with the gold version?

-EridanMan

I think several members mentioned problems with the ATI Rage Mobile chipsets (Rage LT's in some other laptops ?). I know BTS has mentioned some tweaks that they have done regarding reading the resolution from the video driver, but I don't know if that applies here or not. Laptop video chipsets are a bit notorious when it comes to resolution issues due to the type of displays that they are driving. Hopefully the Gold Demo will provide an answer.

Otherwise it may be a tortuous wait for Dell/ATI to update the video driver (at least it is a newer product, so there's some hope). You will probably have to go to Dell to get the updated drivers (unless, as you mention, you use the other Rage Pro series drivers).

I have a Dell Latitude with Rage Mobility chip and have posted about this problem as well, hoping against hope that the full version would work.

I also suspect no joy until/unless a driver update appears.

But . . . I'm excited by the tip about changing the resolution and will try that as soon as I get home. If such a work around is successful, I'll be happy on the road.

Thanks for the experimentation, Eridani

Guest Big Time Software

There were a number of problems like this with the Beta Demo, not just with this particular ATI chipset. This was actually the first thing we worked on fixing. So I say with about 95% certainty that this has been fixed. Gold Demo should answer that question for sure smile.gif

Oh, if you are using a custom Windows mouse pointer, don't smile.gif We have fixed this to the best of our ability, but there might still be some problems on specific hardware/driver configurations. Gota love Plug and Pray "technology" smile.gif

Steve

Likewise, thanks.

I got home and immediately fired up the laptop, and darned if CM didn't run right, cursor and all. Never happened before. I suppose something was different about screen resolution and so on.

Sigh. I never had problems like this when I was a Mac-man (but then, most of the software I wanted wasn't available).

Oh well - I'm glad to hear this should be fixed in the final code.