OffTopic - CM engine build uppon rules from..?

It is kind of an Urban legend that CM originally was meant to be a computerized version of ASL. I wounder however what rulebook is to be found beneath the hood of CM. Did BTS create their own or are they inspired from someone known as ASL or The Battleground from Easy Eight?

This is a odd question I know but we are a few that got our inspiration from CM to try out Miniauture gaming.

Which Miniauture rules get close to CM?

Malm

From what I understand it is actually supposed to be based on Newton's Rules.

Yes that's Rules by Sir Issac Newton. I understand they have attempted to model a REAL life ballistics and physics model inside the game "under the hood" and they have not used any other "games" rules or data at all.

In this case I think they can legitimitatly claim they have actually "invented the wheel" when it comes to a real world 3D WW II tactical level Post D-Day combat sim.

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 11-29-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>In this case I think they can legitimitatly claim they have actually "invented the wheel" when it comes to a real world 3D WW II tactical level Post D-Day combat sim.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey man, the WW2 mod for Myth 2 was out ages and ages ago...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M. Bates:

Hey man, the WW2 mod for Myth 2 was out ages and ages ago...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK

I'm a HUGE fan of Myth 2 BUT, huge BUT here, Myth 2 DOES not measure armour plate thickness to the mm the way CM does.

Myth 2 does not model every weapon common to WWII the way CM does.

Myth 2 is a great 3D RTS game but the WW II version of it is just a plain old MOD! Not a historical recreation of fact and ballisical (sp? smile.gif ) accuracy the way CM works.

BTS did invent the Wheel on this ONE!

and it mighty fine Wheel it is too!

-tom w

I remeber reading somewhere that they started with the ASL rules set, but when BTS' partnership with AH died, so did any rights to ASL (hence no BTS-created ASL scenarios, for example). So, as aka_tom_w pointed out, Newton's rules are in effect.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

The game did start out as an ASL computer simulation, but things did not work out with AH. Because Charles had left out anything that was a copyright of AH and ASL, ie:Rules, for future stages of the programing, BTS was able to walk away with all the work they had done up to that point legally, and ethically. A very smart move I thought. So as far as I've read, that is as close to ASL rules CM ever got.

Mord

[This message has been edited by Mord (edited 11-29-2000).]